STDs Community
HSV blood test

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

HSV blood test

Why did you say that guy should not get a blood test for HSV? Are there enough false positive results (my results were <5.0) that I may have a false positive? My bf is getting tested tomorrow for HSV-2, since I was tested positive on Jan 7. I have never had an outbreak that I know of unless HSV2 can be mistaken for yeast infection. My bf also has battled jock itch and MRSA.

This discussion is related to Boy, did I screw up!.
The doctors won't answer your question here as this is just the STD community forum you'd need to pay for a doctor to answer. I've looked at the thread you're referring to and the reason Dr Hook doesn't recommend a blood test for HSV in that particular case was the exposure he received really didn't warrant it. What symptoms did you have that lead you to getting a test?
Never had any symptoms....EVER. But my bf thought he had been tested for all stds and was clean so I wanted to give him the same assurance that I was also clean. I was sure I didnt have any stds since I never had any symptoms/outbreaks. Much to my surprise I tested positive for hsv2 And found out he had never asked specifically for hsv testing and thus didnt know whether he has it or not. We get his results on Tuesday. This has put a damper on our sex life and personally I dont know if we will be able to make it as a couple if he doesnt have it. Given the info I have learned so far I almost wish I had never been tested. I know thats not the right way to look at it - and I should have been tested after my divorce since my ex husband frequented strip clubs, but as I said I never had any symptoms so no real reason to test. I really miss the freedom we had in the bedroom.....(sigh)
Do you know your exact results? Number wise I mean as Grace could tell you if it was a high or low positive. The trouble with HSV2 blood testing is it can often give false positive results. I'd really recommend a second test to make sure the first was correct.
Sorry I see that you put on <5.0 let's see what Grace says about that result.
you have a post on the herpes forum.  all herpes questions should be asked in your original post there.

this post got bumped over here because you tried to comment on someone's post that wasn't yours on the std experts forum.

grace
sorry. I dont understand this. where do i post to get an answer to my post?
You originally posted in the herpes forum on 20th of January but you added to someone else's question. You need to post your original question again in the herpes forum but post it as a new question.