STDs Expert Forum
HSV1 Immunity

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

HSV1 Immunity

I am concerned about acquiring genital herpes from receiving unprotected oral sex and protected vaginal sex?

Background: I had two potential exposures: Both woman are part of the Sugar Daddy world and therefore, more promiscuous and sexual active then the average sexually active woman. The first woman-10 days ago- was protected vaginal sex ( lasting 30 seconds) and receiving unprotected oral sex.  My activity was limited to vaginal fingering and touching my penis. The second woman- 3 days ago- was receiving unprotected oral sex.   My activity was limited to vaginal fingering, anal fingering on her  and touching my penis.

1)  I have had oral HSV1, symptom free, since childhood. Assuming the women have oral HSV1. Do I have a immunity from acquiring  genital HSV1 from receiving unprotected oral sex?  
2) I have had oral HSV1, symptom free, since childhood. Assuming the woman has vaginal HSV2. Do I have a immunity from acquiring  genital HSV2 from receiving unprotected vaginal sex?
3)  In the unlikely event the women performing oral sex on me had oral HSV2 -Do I have any immunity to acquiring HSV2 from this event?  Or is there any realistic chance of acquiring HSV2 disease from this event?
4) My concerns are heightened since yesterday, I have had mild tingling in the penis...a small pimple  slightly above the  tinea cruris area. Is this a sign of herpes? or other std?  I am watching diligently for the tingling to advance to a break out???

If this is considered a two part question- I will re-post with another fee.. Thanks-

Welcome to our Forum.  I'll be pleased to comment on your questions.  In general however, estimates are that the risk for getting herpes from any single contact with an infected sex partner are low, and lower still when you (or your partner) do not know whether or not they have HSV.  Please remember that most people with HSV (-1 or -2) do not know they are infected and that about 60% of U.S. adults have HSV-1 and that for HSV-2, while infection rates increase with increasing numbers of partners, almost 10% of persons with a single sex partner have HSV-2 and when someone has had more than 50 sex partners, their likelihood of infection is about 60%.  Thus almost any partner could be infected and this risk is only modified slightly by partner numbers.

In answer to your specific questions:
.1)  I have had oral HSV1, symptom free, since childhood. Assuming the women have oral HSV1. Do I have a immunity from acquiring  genital HSV1 from receiving unprotected oral sex?  

Oral HSV-1 induces a high degree of immunity to HSV-1 and persons with HSV-1 (at any site) are almost never infected again with HSV-1 again following initial infection because of immunity generated by their infection.  This same immunity SLIGHTLY reduces risk (i.e. protects from acquisition of HSV-2) as well.  this is true no matter what the route of exposure.  

See above.  There is a modest reduction in risk but it is not complete protection.

See above regarding immunity.  There is almost no realistic risk of getting HSV-2 from receipt of oral sex form a female partner however.  

Itching is the most common manifestation of genitally focused anxiety that we know of.  On the other hand, if this was a sign of HSV, within hours of the beginning of your itch, you would have experienced an outbreak.

Finally, condoms do reduce risk for HSV but not entirely- estimates of the risk reduction form condom use are about 33-50% reduction.

I hope these comments are helpful. EWH
question 2- protected vaginal sex and not unprotected vaginal  sex- this was a typo to above question
Thank You. Regarding question 2- I am unclear on your answer- The vaginal sex was protected- assuming the woman had vaginal HSV2- Is it possible to acquire HSV2 genital?
Use of condoms further reduces tha already low risk for getting HSV, if your partner even had it.  EWH