STDs Expert Forum
HSV1 false positive

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

HSV1 false positive

Dear Doctor,
I am a 37 yo female and recently I started a new relationship and did  LABSAFE std panel.  I tested positive for HSV1 with a level of 1.7.  All other tests were negative.  I have never had a cold sore in my entire life orally or genitally.  I know it is silly to be concerned since I tested negative for HSV2, but I am devastated.  I am pretty sure that the guy I am seeing will consider this a deal breaker.  I don
You're "devastated" because you have been infected with HSV-1?  Should the other 50% of the population with the infection also feel devastated?  I'm HSV-1 positive and it means nothing to me (and meant nothing to me back in my inter-marriage dating days, when I first tested myself).  As you suggest yourself, your self-assessment of feeling silly to be concerned is the more reasonable reaction.  Most likely you acquired HSV-1 orally in childhood.  If you haven't had cold sores up until now, the odds are it well never cause a problem for you and never will be transmitted to another person, sexually or otherwise.

1, 2) There isn't much research on false positive HSV-1 results.  I suppose it can happen, and a Western blot would indeed confirm whether or not you really have HSV-1 antibody. As I suggested above, it doesn't matter and doesn't seem to be worth the time, energy, and money to find out--but the choice is yours.  But don't get your hopes up; you can be almost certain it will confirm what you already know.

3, 4)  Neither dehydration nor blood donation would affect the test results.

Bottom line:  Relax, you're normal.  Good luck--  HHH, MD
What did Labsafe tell you about this?

What made you think an antibody test for HSV1 had any value
in determining Genital Herpes infection???

Interested to know