STDs Expert Forum
HSV1=STD? but I'm married and monogamous, how did I get it?
About This Forum:

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

HSV1=STD? but I'm married and monogamous, how did I get it?

I have just been diagnosed with HSV1 from a blood test.  I went to the doctors with canchor sores inside my mouth along my jaws, and a fever.  My wife and I are not doing well maritally anyway, and now this.  She recently admitted being alone with a man (supposed friend), but vehemently denies any intimate contact whatsoever.  I just found out that this man recently suffered from mouth pain so severe that it kept him from work.  

I have been totally monogamous and had not had sex for at least a year before my wife.  I have never had symptoms that even resemble what I presented to the doctor recently.  My wife has not symptoms that I can tell.  She was diagnosed with HPV when we were first married but nothing else.  Recently she was prescribed: Aldara 5% Cream, Metronidazole  .75% Gel 70G, and Cephalexin 500mg Capsules.  I met with her doctor (before my diagnosis), and her doctor assured me that my wife was being treated for something that I was not in danger of contracting.  

My wife and I  range in having sex from maybe 3 times a week, (typically on the same day), to 4 times a month.  We don't use condoms, we seldom if ever kiss  and we don't practice oral sex.  This last time we did kiss, a lot. Two days later I had the chancher sores and a day after that, a fever.

Does my new diagnosis of HSV1 provide further evidence of the possibility that she has had intimacies (i.e. kissing or oral sex or colitus) with someone else?