STDs Expert Forum
HSV2 and being a sperm donor?
About This Forum:

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

HSV2 and being a sperm donor?

This may be a dumb question but I have the genital form of herpes and am curious to know of the risk factor of transmission
for the recipiant and/or fetus if i were to become a sperm donor(artificial insemination).
Thank-you
Related Discussions
239123_tn?1267651214
I believe but do not know for sure that most (all?) sperm donation centers and infertility programs would exclude you as a donor.  In the event you donate in a private setting, you should tell the recipient and/or the responsible official of your genital herpes infection.

Best wishes--   HHH, MD
3 Comments
Blank
thank you for your quick response.
It is a private donation and despite the moral obligations i have to inform the potential recipiant, i am still curious of the risk factors for transmission.
thank-you for your expertise and time.
Blank
239123_tn?1267651214
Undoubtedly very low transmission risk, assuming you are not having a symptomatic outbreak at the time; but nobody can say it is zero.  If you are taking suppressive antiviral therapy (or want to do so expressly for this purpose), and if valacyclovir or related drugs are not considered contraindications for semen donation, that would reduce the risk still further.

HHH, MD
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
239123_tn?1267651214
H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D.Blank
University of Washington
Seattle, WA
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker