STDs Community
HSV2 rectal to vaginal?

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

HSV2 rectal to vaginal?

I am a female that was given herpes through anal sex. It caused proctitis, but there were no sores or blisters externally on my body. Blood test revealed HSV2+, HSV1-. I am positive that the proctitis was the initial HSV2 infection.

I am currently in a relationship with a man that is HSV2-. We are intimate, but not having sex at this point. He is fully aware of the situation. What are the risks to my partner as far as oral clitoral stimulation and vaginal intercourse? Condoms will be used of course. I am considering Female condoms and also viral supression (even though I have never had external symptoms) to try to protect him. Is this overboard? Should I assume that if the HSV2 is in my rectum that it is on my genital area as well even though there have not been signs of it? If anyone has this situation or any legitimate medical advice on this, it will be greatly appreciated!
When you were infected with hsv2 - your entire anogenital area was infected with the virus. It's not just confined to your anal area even though that's where evidently so far you've had symptoms at.  

If you and your man do nothing but avoid sex during obvious genital symptoms - he's about 96% likely each year NOT to contract hsv2 from you. If you take daily suppressive therapy his risk is cut in half. Combine all that with condom use and he's about 99% likely each year NOT to contract hsv2 from you.  If you have been infected with hsv2 within the last year or two I recommend suppressive therapy since the virus is most active during that first year especially.

Has your man been tested for hsv2 to know he's negative or is he just assuming he's negative?  

I know it's easier said than done but remember - with even just the barest of efforts ( avoiding sex whenever ANYTHING is going on down yonder ) he'll always be more likely NOT to contract hsv2 from you than he is to contract it. Hard to believe but just knowing you are infected and taking simple precautions really tilts the odds in your favor.  Anything over and above that you do precautionwise - just makes it even less likely he'll contract hsv2 from you.  You really are not a walking biohazzard but convincing yourself of that sometimes is easier said than done.

grace
I greatly appreciate your response. Exactly what I was looking for, thanks!