STDs Expert Forum
HTLV 1 and 2

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

HTLV 1 and 2

Wow Doc, you got alot a questions, atleast this is differnet from the rest of 'em though.

1)What is the window period for HTLV 1/2 testing?  I read it can take longer than HIV.  Will 5 months do it?

2) Would HTLV cause ARS and oral thrush, since it is infact a 'retrovirus'?

3) Estimated 10-20 million infected, half of HIV but I thought HTLV has been around longer.  Does that mean it is less infectous or just a fluke, or many more people have it then we think?

4) Finally, would you say HTLV is similar in transmission risk in terms of low oral risk, low one time exposure risk?

Thanks kindly.
I don't keep up with the HTLV literature.  It is a rare cause of disease in industrialized countries.  I don't know the window period for testing.  Testing for HTLV is not normally done anyway outside research setttings.  It's not an STD, by and large, thus outside my field of expertise.

Sorry I can't help more.  Regards--  HHH, MD
WHAT IS HTLV
HTLV is a rare virus in the US apparently and I'm guessing even more so here in Canada.  Mainly found in the Carribean, Japan, and among Aboriginal people is what I've read.  The funny thing is, when I called the clinic here, they' didn't even know what I was talking about, I had to tell them, then they called the health department.  They can test for it as part of the Hiv test, they jus have to tick it off on the form when you get tested.

Apprently most people are healthy carriers, but it can cause t-cell leukimea in some, and HAM/TSP in others.  The latter is what scares me most, as it means by by walking and functioning normal.

I am not a doctor, this is just the research I've come across.  I know a girl who could have been with IDUs, definetly drug users ( I didn't knwo at teh time) so maybe injection drugs as well.  Tested neg at 3 months, and so did my other partners Iw as concerned about.  But I still have symptoms, and I hate the anxiety catch all reply, I know when my body is telling me check engine, you know what I mean?
I meant tested neg for Hiv at 3 months and so have my other partners.  So now my ocnern has shifted to HTLV.
"I meant tested neg for Hiv at 3 months and so have my other partners. So now my cocnern has shifted to HTLV."

Why?  It is so rare as a cause of serious disease.  This is like losing sleep about the possibility of being struck by lightning.

HHH, MD