STDs Expert Forum
HVS-2 could my ex-boyfriend gave it to me

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

The 1st time we had sex again was March 21-28.2nd time we had sex was on April 4 and we still use a condom but this time when he went to pullout the condom came off.So later that week I start to burn when I use the bathroom and I was red down there but I thought it may have came form when I shave the following days b4 we had sex.So on April 6 I started to get really sick that night and I thought I had the flu so I decide to go to the doctor to see if I had the flu and while I was there I ask her to check me down there to see if I had cut myself.So the doctor looks down there and said to me do you have herpes and I said no.So she did a Herpes culture and blood work on me.Culture came back positive for HSV-2 but my blood work came back negative for HSV-1and HSV-2.What does that mean? So when I got home I look down there for myself and I had an outbreak were the sperm was at when the condom came off.Could that be how I got this STD?I told him about it and he did say that he did mess with another girl unprotect but he said that he did not have anything on him.Why did I have an outbreak and he did not and what should he do as far as getting tested for HSV-2?I just do not understand Why and How.What test or tests should he take to know if he has it or not? Should he wait 3-4 months b4 he take the HSV2-IgG test or should he take the HSV-2IgM and HSV-2IgG tests?My doctor said that my HSV-2IgG should change in 3-4 months.Why would she say that for?
Sparkeler (below) is right.  You give a textbook classical story of initial genital herpes; I could use your questions as a perfect teaching tool for medical students.  Your doctor is correct, that if you have a repeat blood test in a few weeks, it will become positive for HSV-2.  But you really don't need it; your diagnosis is solid.

Your boyfriend clearly has genital herpes due to HSV-2.  Most infected people are asymptomatic, or have only mild symptoms that they don't recognize--so that part of the story (a partner who doesn't realize anything is wrong) also is typical.  He should have a blood test, and can do it right now; it will show positive for HSV-2.  (Well, there is a slight chance it will be negative, if he was infected by someone else within the last couple of months.  If his test is negative now, it should be repeated in a few weeks.)   He should have a type specific IgG test, but not an IgM test; IgM testing for herpes is inherently inaccurate and is never reliable.

You can expect to have recurrent outbreaks, but they can be treated--and they can be largely prevented by ongoing treatment.  In addition, you will have periods of asymptomatic virus shedding--i.e., times when nothing seems wrong but you can transmit the infection to a sex partner.  However, you will not transmit it back to the partner who infected you.  Asymptomatic shedding and the risk of transmission also can be reduced by suppressive anti-herpes drugs.  The drugs are completely benign, with no side effects--so if cost isn't an issue, do not hesitate to ask your doctor to prescribe treatment.

Genital herpes is a complex STD.  You need to start learning the details.  Start with the American Social Health Association (www.ashastd.org); in addition to online information, ASHA offers personalized telephone counseling.  It is an excellent service; I recommend it to every person with newly diagnosed genital herpes.  Other excellent information sources are my former health department (www.metrokc.gov/health/apu/std), CDC (www.cdc.gov/std), and the Portland, OR Westover Heights Clinic (www.westoverheights.com).

Best wishes--  HHH, MD
I think your doctor believes it's herpes and believes it's a recent infection.  (You did have classical symptoms.)  When somebody first becomes infected with herpes, the bodies won't show antibodies on a blood test for at least 3 months.  The culture was positive, so you should assume you do have herpes until proven otherwise.
What is classical symptoms???? I brokeout within two days after we had sex.
They say 2 - 20 days is the timeframe you will notice an outbreak  after becomming infected.  The flu like symptoms along with the vaginal "cuts" are symptoms of an initial outbreak.
I can not wait to hear what the Doctor has to say about what I wrote. Thank you a lot it means a whole lot to me...I been dealing w/this for almost two months now. I just can not get over that I have this STD. Thanks again
I am sorry I 4got to ask you could u get this STD the way I said I got it?
Yes, of course you can get it that way.  You intended safe sex (condom) but it came off.  Where is the surprise?

For "classical symptoms", read the information at some of the websites I provided in my main reply.

HHH, MD
Thanks for every comment it means a lot. I am happy to know that I can talk to other people about this STD. Thanks A Lot
I don't often promote myself here but I encourage you to come over to the herpeshomepage.com and check out our support forums. There are many good people over there who will give you suport to help you better deal with what you are going thru right now :)  We even have a chat room that is active most evenings to talk to others in "real" time.  Don't let the IDEA of herpes get you down - it's far too common of a virus to give it that much power in your life!!!

grace
I condom came off only when to pull out and I broke out were his sperm was at on me........Thats what I mean could I have got it that way.
Hmmmm. Mal? Maybe not, maybe so.