STDs Community
Has anyone ever let the herpes infection clear up on it's own w/ou...

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

Has anyone ever let the herpes infection clear up on it's own w/out meds?

On the 2nd day of my period I got a little red itchy/tingly bump. I do have genital herpes and this isn't the first time I have had this happen during a period and in the same spot. The other time I believe I did take some meds to get rid of it. But this time since I do not want to shell out the $$ for a RX because I am poor w/no insurance and the meds cost a TON! Putting abreva on the sores down there does help with the pain but I've never tired to just "tough it out" before and I want to know if that is a good idea? Has anybody else let their's clear up on there own and if so how long will it take to go away? If it takes longer than a week(i'm already on day three and it's not as annoying as it was on day one and two) I'm just gonna eat it and pay for the meds because more than 7 days is just murder!
     Is it better to clear it up with meds instead of letting it clear up by itself? Is there more of a risk in letting it clear up by itself towards my partner than treating it with meds?
     I'd really like to hear what you people have to say becasue this would already be my 5th outbreak this year.(it's been a really stressful beginning of the year. Last year I only had two at most 3 never 5 or more!!
Any and all input would be great! Thanks!
I've only had a few outbreaks in my 20 years but I always let it clear up by itself. Never took the meds.
There is no harm in doing so. I used to get in the shower and let hot water run over the sores and then air dry them.
If they are less annoying already, they are probably starting to scab over and you should notice each day they get less and less irritating. They will probably be completely healed in the next couple of days.
Save your money...you're entering the home stretch with this outbreak.
You never, ever, ever, EVER have to treat your herpes if you don't want to. Episodic therapy just helps to speed the healing of lesions. If you prefer topical treatments and just toughing it out - that is fine to do so - it's not any sort of health risk :)

Acyclovir is cheaper than valtrex and famvir.  If your insurance doesn't make it cheaper you can get 100 400mg tablets for under $25 thru the link on the herpes homepage. You still need a prescription from your doctor but you can fill it cheaply thru them. Also you can get 30 200mg acyclovir tablets for $4 at walmart ( and other places too now ).  You can get a script that says - acyclovir 200mg take as directed dispense 30 tablets from your doc.  Then you can either take 2 pills at a time 3 times a day for 5 days or 4 pills at a time 3x/day for 2 days. Both heal ob's up at the same rate.  Just something to keep in mind if you find that your ob's just stick around too long without antivirals.

I'm a fan of tea tree oil myself. I buy it cheaply at walmart - 2 oz for under $5.  Wet a cotton ball and put a few drops on and apply it to the lesions. It smells "herbally" and it sometimes stings for a few minutes but I find it helps with pain and also helps to dry them out faster.  Also dermoplast spray ( the blue can not the red can for the genital area ) is a good topical anesthetic I like too. It's nice because you can spray it on and never touch your genitals ( plus it's helpful for cuts and bug bites too ).  

grace
I have had herpes for almost 15 years since i was diagnosed when i was 18...i am now 32...I have had only 1 prescription in that time and that was when i was pregnant with my 2nd child and had an outbreak before i went into pre-term labor. I try to lower my stress level if that is why the breakout is occurring and take lots of long baths. It is usually gone with 3-4 days...
Hi PJ. I've had herpes for four years now. And i remember exactly who I was with and when I got it. Laying with that chick is something that I've regreted every day since then. I feel extremely awkward in knowing that I have something that I can never get rid of it. At the time I didn't give a rats azz what happened to me, I was kind of damaged. But over time my senses returned and I realized just what a mesed up situation I had gotten myself into. Thanks be to the man upstairs that I didn't get that philthy chick pregnant, or get AIDS or HIV. But to comment on your post about getting sores. I got an outbreak the very next morning after I had sex, but it took me three years to break down and go see a doctor. In those three years, every outbreak I got went untouched, untreated, and went away on it's own. I initially continued showering like normal, but when I saw that using a washcloth seemed to be spreading the outbreaks to areas where I know me and the girl had no physical contact, I didn't know whaty to do. I mean I expected I would see lesions on johnson, and around my mouth, cuz I did oral foolishly, but not around the anal area, cuz I mean I don't get down with any type of anal sex whatsoever. I do a little research now and then so I can know more about how to deal with it, what to expect and see what others like me are doing. For in showering I mixed up a clorox and soap solution to spray on the areas instead of actually touching; so as not to completely neglect cleanliness.  My biggest concern is passing it on. I haven't had sex in a long time cuz I don't want to give this to any woman, and I don't know how to tell them I have this, it's hard not to be ashamed so I just don't tell anyone. That's a lonely way to be I know, but I'd rather be alone than embarrassed and risk having my dirty laundry aired. But  this lack of sexlife is frustrating, and I did well at it, but all that is over now that I know I have a f'ing virus; I don't even feel right typing the word herpes. The sores that I get don't particularly itch much, and the pain is not severe but the overall condition is very worrisome. Not that it hurts too bad, its just a major headache. I've become self conscious about washing my underwear, showring takes much longer now bc I have to air dry so they won't spread, and I've learned that there is a plethera of foods that I can no longer eat because they aggravate the virus. But not to seem completely victimized by my own actions, I have taken the opportunity to turn this into an ongoing learning experience, I have an overall more precautious and appreciative outlook on life now and I just take it one day at a time, I used to be quite pretentious and impatient. Also, how actually safe is it to have sex in between outbreaks. I mean I've heard some say you can still pass it on b/w outbreaks and some websites say what not to do in between outbreaks, as if it's safe safe then. All replies encouraged.
I have had herpes for just over two years and I was taking valtrex to help with my outbreaks which it did, but I found just being body aware also helped. Not stopping eating stuff, but knowing when I am goign to have an outbreak (Right before my period)  
As for telling people you have the virus the truth is that more than 80% of the population has some sort of herpes virus and that is why they don't test for it at any sti clinic unless you have an outbreak, because it is so very common.  
SO the reality of telling people is really just about educating them because odds are in your favor that they already have it or know someone who does, I mean everyone knows someone who gets cold sores, the good thing about genital cold sores is we don't have to wear it on our faces.  I have continued to still have the sex life I had before only being sure to use condoms and really watch my genitals and if I notice ANY signs of a cold sore coming at all I refrain from having sex of any kind..In saying that I will also add that I have had quite a few sex partners as I am a single liberated lady and I have not passed on the virus to one person.  So stop being so alone, and so worried about it, stress is the number one factor in causing outbreaks, and the odd person you go to sleep with that freaks when you say "yea I get cold sores sometimes, but Im good to go now and Im gonna keep it wrapped up anyway so no big deal" well those people are just ignorant and uneducated and you don't want to sleep with them anyway.  Overall I find in life, and with herpes that the only time its made a big deal, is if you make it out to be one yourself.  
Good luck and relax man its not the end of the world, google celebrities who have herpes, the list is endless, Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie, Tom Cruise, Paris Hilton, Orlando Bloom, Jessica Alba, Robin Willaims...etc etc,.....That's right, you have herpes congrats more than 80% of us do.
If you don't want to spend $$ on meds or just can't afford it then you should seriously consider trying home remedies and natural healing treatments like colliolal silver or using baking soda etc..... I wrote more about using home remedie treatments on my blog here http://get-rid-of-herpes-now.blogspot.co.nz/
i know how you feel, im 17. I don't slep around at all, I did it with a past boyfriend when we were out of it. I regret it so much. I've basically flushed my life down the toilet, that's how I felt when I knew I had it. Then I got over it for a bit, but my second time came and im right back at square one. I have not thought much about what i'd do if I was in a relationship with someone, whether I would tell them or not. The shame of it! The trouble is with all the false imformation about it going around. It sucks balls!!!!! I did not know about certain foods which don't help with the recovery of H. would you mind tell me what these are please?
thanks,
kate
Please start your own thread in the herpes forum.
Have an STDs question?
100,000+ doctor answers