STDs Expert Forum
Have i got Chlamydia?

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Have i got Chlamydia?

Very worried and emotional 30 year old man here.

I did a very stupid thing, i got drunk and had sex with a femaile sex worker in a brothel, during the sex the condom broke, i was probably exposed about 3-4 minutes max.

I tested for chlamydia 2 days later that was negative then 8 days later that was also negative along with Gonerea. But then i was told by the sexual health advisors that this was too early to test and should wait 14 days? why is this? It was a NAAT test that i had.

I'm so worried i caught something, mind is playing tricks on me, i keep thinking i have pains in my testicles since like the 5th day, could this be chlamydia? I have a family that i love dearly and feel utter disgust for what i have done.

Can you advise?

Brian

Welcome to the Forum.  I'll be happy to comment. The person who told you that your 8 day test was too soon was wrong.  There is a theoretical concern that a 2 day test might miss a recently acquired infection but this concern is only theoretical and is unproven. Certainly a test taken more than a week later is completely reliable.  Believe the results.  There is no need for further testing.

Please remember, most CSWs do not have STDs and most exposures to infected partners do not lead to infection.  Based on your test results it is  now time to stop worrying about the possibility of STDs from this exposure and instead to focus in your guilt.

I hope my comment is helpful.  EWH
Really appreciate that response.
Has it got somehting to do with me being in the UK?
Are the tests done diffrently than in the US? In all the NHS sexual health clinics at the hospital they all say wait 2 weeks for this? Why do you think they tell us all this? Are there satistics to show infection can occur after 7 days etc?
What do you most exposures to infected partners do not lead to infection? really? i didnt realise this was the case for Chlaymdia.

Many thanks,

Brian
No, the test are the same in both locations. the person who told you that your test was too early was WRONG!

Most infectious diseases are not transmitted by a single infection to most people.  As an analogy, think of how many times you have intereacted with people with the flu but did not get it.  EWH
wow eye opener, they are so set on the 14 days too :S, where you aware that this is what they say in the UK?
Also i suffer from anxiety and worry alot about these things, could it be that the testicle pain was just oin my head and down to that?

I'm actaully booked in to another private clinic which cost be over £150 to get the 14 day test next week, costing me a fortune, should i just cancel and get on with my life?

Many thanks for your wise words.
Testicular discomfort is a common manifestation of the combined effects of anxiety/guilt  and heightened vigilance.

I would not waste your time or money with further testing.  Time for you to move on. EWH
Cool thanks for advise, so my last 2 questions and sorry for hasseling. I just cancelled the test next week off the back of your advise :)

1. So did you know that here in UK they say 14 days for testing for Chlamydia?

2. My doctor also prescribed me Doxycycline just incase (becasue of what happened i suppose), am i safe to take just to make sure of getting rid of anything?
1.  I did not know this.  it is not necessary.
2.  Not sure how to answer this.  I treat my patients based on what they have, not "just in case" unless they have a known exposure to an infected partner.  I hope that you do not have side effects from the doxycycline.

This will end this thread.  EWH