STDs Expert Forum
Hello, What might by problem be?

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Hello, What might by problem be?

I am 15 years old and have not had sexual intercourse of any kind.  About 3 months ago I noticed a lump on my testicle and it does not hurt, but i can feel it and it is somewhat hard.  It is on my left testicle, and when I touch it it is a little tender but I would not say Painful.  What could this be?  Please help, thanks!
It isn't epididymitis, which is very painful and certainly would have either gone away or gotten worse within 3 months.  The most likely possibilities are a benign tumor called a fibroma, or fluid-filled cysts such as spermatocele or hydrocele (the first filled with sperm, the other with fluid without sperm).  Most things like these can be left alone and will go away, but some require surgery as the size grows.  More serious things--various infections and more serious tumors, such as testicular cancer--are very rare.

You defintely need to see a doctor to get it checked out.  Most likely s/he will find it isn't serious and will advise just waiting to see what happens.  Don't be frightened about the outcome, but don't delay; learning what it is will be the best way to resolve your anxiety about it!  You don't need to be embarrassed or hesitate to discuss it with your parents or your doctor.  Nobody will make assumptions about an STD, sexual activity, masturbation, etc.

Good luck--   HHH, MD
Since yesterday I have begin to get a sharp pain in my testicle and sometimes it hurts to move and even feel funny, also it no longer feels hot. :( Please Im scared, what could this be?
I can't say more than I did in my first response, except to emphasize that you should go seek care, the sooner the better.  Do it today!

HHH, MD
I went to the Doctors this morning and he BELIEVES it is a cyst on the spermatic cord  because it is ABOVE the testicle and not on it.  I see a urologist soon to be sure but just a quick question, how come on every site I see they say cysts are not supposed to be painful, yet I have been getting LOTS of pain from this lately.
My knowledge and understanding of your problem can't compete with that of doctors who are directly involved in your care; you'll need to ask them about continuing symptoms.  In any case, cysts aren't at all dangerous.  Perhaps the pain is related to anxiety more than anything else.  Continue to follow up with the urologist.

Best wishes--   HHH, MD
I saw the Urologist today, and he diagnosed it a Spermacele, a rather large cyst on the spermatic cord filled with sperm.  Hes 99.9% sure it is harmless, but I have the question of why the pain is still here because he said it isnt.  Could it just be that I have been touching it more (And Doctors) to see what it is and it has becoem irritated?  Thanks HHH
Yes, that's probably what is going on.  Now that you know it's nothing serious, lay off; don't keep checking it and the pain will fade.

HHH, MD
Thanks a lot for everything HHH, if it wasnt for you I probably would have went nuts worrying about it all by now. :)