STDs Expert Forum
Hep A fear

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Hep A fear

Dear Dr.,

I've been in a relationship with a girl for about 2 years and recently we have begun full sexual intercourse.  Previous to that I was in a relationship for 2 years with another girl who was overly promiscuous in my book.  In order to feel more confident that I am not carrying any STDs that I could pass on to my new girlfriend now that we've begun to have sex, I went ahead and underwent STD testing for about every STD I could test for.  I was negative for all.  I tested for Hep C and am vaccinated for Hep B, but I didn't test for Hep A.  

My ex and I had anal sex as well as anal-digital play.  We never did any oral-anal play.  As far as I remember I was careful to wash my hands.  She never had any noticeable symptoms of hep A, I have never had any noticeable symptoms and my current girlfriend of 2 years has never either.  Can I safely presume I don't have it or at least didn't get it from my ex about 2 years ago?  

I checked out the CDC website and it said Hep A was not chronic, but I called them just to make sure and the person on the line said that it could remain dormant for years without symptoms and that I might as well get tested just to be sure (I don't think this person was a doctor though).  I really don't want to be tested again as I was just tested and actually did a separate HIV test a week before that.  3 blood tests in a month is obviously excessive, but can I feel assured that at the very least I didn't pick up Hep A from my ex about 2 years ago and if somehow my current girlfriend were to get it, it at least wouldn't be because of my past regretful relationship.

Thanks you.
Hepatitis A indeed is not chronic.  Whoever said it could persist in a dormant state is just plain wrong.  Or, perhaps more likely, you misunderstood.  There is no reason whatsoever to worry about hepatitis A in a situation like yours.  If you happened to catch it in your relationship 2 years ago, which is very unlikely, the infection is now long gone.

If you remain nervous, you could have a test to see if you ever had hep A.  If that test is negative, you could be vaccinated so you will be protected in the future, or you could just get the vaccine without testing.  Discuss these options with your primary care doctor.

Judging by both this question and the one on the HIV Prevention forum about a no-risk scenario a month ago, you see abnormally concerned about virtually zero risk events with respect to STDs and HIV.

I'm not going to entertain any follow-up "yes but" or "what if" questions.  My opinion and advice are not likely to change.

HHH, MD