STDs Expert Forum
Hep A fear
About This Forum:

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Hep A fear

Dear Dr.,

I've been in a relationship with a girl for about 2 years and recently we have begun full sexual intercourse.  Previous to that I was in a relationship for 2 years with another girl who was overly promiscuous in my book.  In order to feel more confident that I am not carrying any STDs that I could pass on to my new girlfriend now that we've begun to have sex, I went ahead and underwent STD testing for about every STD I could test for.  I was negative for all.  I tested for Hep C and am vaccinated for Hep B, but I didn't test for Hep A.  

My ex and I had anal sex as well as anal-digital play.  We never did any oral-anal play.  As far as I remember I was careful to wash my hands.  She never had any noticeable symptoms of hep A, I have never had any noticeable symptoms and my current girlfriend of 2 years has never either.  Can I safely presume I don't have it or at least didn't get it from my ex about 2 years ago?  

I checked out the CDC website and it said Hep A was not chronic, but I called them just to make sure and the person on the line said that it could remain dormant for years without symptoms and that I might as well get tested just to be sure (I don't think this person was a doctor though).  I really don't want to be tested again as I was just tested and actually did a separate HIV test a week before that.  3 blood tests in a month is obviously excessive, but can I feel assured that at the very least I didn't pick up Hep A from my ex about 2 years ago and if somehow my current girlfriend were to get it, it at least wouldn't be because of my past regretful relationship.

Thanks you.