STDs Expert Forum
Hep B and Oral Sex

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Hep B and Oral Sex

I know oral sex comes up all the time.
I received oral sex from an Asian massage worker 8 weeks ago.
I have come up negative for all STD's.
I got a negative test for Hep B (looking specifically for the virus)
I have heard different things from different people about the validity of a test at 8 weeks.
I got an email from the hepatitas foundation telling me not to worry about hepatitas b from this exposure.
Do I need to let this go now or do I need to continue paying for more tests?
Hoep you can reassure me as I am going a little crazy!

Thanks in advance
Tags: oral sex
Welcome to the STD forum.

Responding first to the title you selected for your question, before I read anything else:  hepatitis B virus (HBV) is rarely if ever transmitted by oral sex.

Now I have read the rest.  I agree with your report about the Hepatitis Foundation.  There is no known risk here. Had you come to my clinic, we would not have done an HBV test for such an exposure, even if you had insisted on it.  In any case, the negative test shows you don't have HBV.

In view of your apparently inflated fears of HBV, I suggest you get vaccinated against it.  Then you'll have no worries in the future.

Regards--  HHH, MD
May have had v small cut on penis.
There was no need for a new question; the additional thread was deleted.

Protection against HBV is believed to be pretty strong after 2 vaccine doses.  But it doesn't matter anyway, for the reasons described above.