Hep C transmission from barbershop
Hi Doctor,

Today when getting my haircut, the barber was quite rough with the comb, and nicked a pimple on my scalp. When I checked after with my finger, I got some blood. So clearly she snagged the pimple with her comb, causing it to break open and bleed.

I am quite concerned about Hepatitis C transmission. I have received the Hep B immunization. From what I have read, it seems like grooming items are a possible mode of transmission for Hep C. So I am quite concerned, especially because my skin was broken and blood was elicited.

Would you recommend testing for Hep C (or even Hep B) in this situation? If so, how long should I wait? Or can I forget this incident and move on?

Thank you so much.
Welcome to the Forum.  The tales of Hepatitis C transmission through grooming equipment are hugely overstated and this really is not something to worry about.  For transmission of hepatitis C to occur the virus needs to be inserted deep into tissue, thus in the unlikely circumstance that the comb was contaminated with hepatitis C, unroofing a pimple would not place you at risk.

My advice, no need for worry and certainly no need for testing for Hepatitis c (or B, tha vaccine works).

EWH
Thank you so much for your input Dr. Hook.