STDs Expert Forum
Hepatitis B/C Question

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Hepatitis B/C Question

Trying to find out the accuracy of tests two months after exposure. Over a year ago, I had unprotected oral sex with a female that I now know is promiscious. Based on some symptoms I had some concerns  about STDs and was tested TWO MONTHS AFTER for Hepatitis B and C. The results were negative.

Since, then, I have had health issues (fatigue, joint pain that come and go) and lately notice periodic discomfort just below my rib cage (center and right of right cage) as well as loose stools. These come and go every few months.

My questions:

- Would Hepatitis B and C tests be accurate 2 months after an exposure?
- Should I do follow-up Hepatitis tests?

Thank you.

You do not have hepatitis.  Hepatitis C is not transmitted through heterosexual intercourse so this is not a concern at all.

As for hepatitis B, this infection is becoming less and less common in North America so that sexual transmission of hepatitis B is becoming an oddity for physicians to see. In addition, more and more Americans are now vaccinated for hepatitis B.  While none of the factors I am about to mention are 100% sure by themselves, when you combine the rarity of the infection, your negative test at 6 months, and your normal lab test results, I can assure you that you do not have hepatitis B form the encounter you describe.  Time for you to put these concerns behind you.  You do not have hepatitis B or C and do not need further testing

Take care.  EWH
My apologies, I should also have added this question:

- Does a normal Bilirubin level rule out Hepatitis? I have been tested for other health issues and that has consistently come back within range.
My testing was at 2 months, not six months. Any change in opinion due to that data point? I will not follow up with anything else.
Sorry, I was doing two things at once.  I meant to type 2 months.  No change in my opinion - you're in the clear.  EWH