STDs Expert Forum
Hepatitis

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Hepatitis
About 22 weeks ago i had unprotected sex with a street hooker.  I was drunk and out with friends and just was not thinking.  Lately I have had sharp pain under my right rib cage and under my left breast and itch in both spots sometimes.  I read that these are signs for Hepatitis both B and C.  I am very afraid and need some guidance.  The pains come and go and have been around for about four months.  Some days I do not have any and others they come and go during the day.  I rarely have them at night.  Other symptoms have been bloating and discomfort in my stomach. My throat also swells up and I have pain in my face.  

I have been tested for HIV at 15 weeks and it was negative.
I see that you have an earlier interaction with Dr. Handsfield regarding the same sexual encounter which seems to have involved oral sex.   My answer will be brief.

Hepatitis C is not transmitted through heterosexual sex. There is no reason to worry about hepatitis C.

Hepatitis B can be transmitted by genital sex but not oral sex.  Your symptoms do not suggest hepatitis B.  The liver is on the right side of the abdomen, not the left and itching does not suggest hepatitis B either.  If you are worried about hepatitis B the only sure way to be sure that you do not have it is to be tested for it with a test specifically for hepatitis B.  If you choose to test, because your risk is low, because you are without symptoms and because your doctor checked your liver recently an found it to be fine, I am confident you will find that you did not get hepatitis B from your exposure either.

it is time for you to put your worries about this concern behind you and move forward. EWH
I forgot to add that my doctor did a physical in early June (8 weeks after exposure) and my liver was good.
Doctor Hook I am scheduled for a Hep test today and a HIV oral.  Over night I developed a small sore on the inside of my lip (not a cold sore, I think I bit it).  Will this compromise my oral test?  My anxiety is killing me and I need these test to move on.
Thank you for your valuable time.
no, your oral sore will not in any way negatively effect the performance of your oral test.  Believe the test result.EWH