STDs Expert Forum
Hepititas b

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Hepititas b

Hello,I'm still very concerned about an incident from last year,I was analy fingered with saliva used as lubricant,by a ts csw.recently I have been having pain in my right upper quadrant,I went to the doctor had my liver function test done and my ALT was raised by about double,the gastroenterologist doesn't believe it to be hep b but I am very worried,my concerns and questions are as follows

1.can saliva transmit hepititas b from this type of exposure?
2.i was given the hepititas b vaccine 1 day after this event,is this enough to stop infection?
3.at this time I was using anabolic steroids,would the vaccine be ineffective if I was exposed to the virus?
4.would anabolic steroids,say I was infected,hinder my immune system response to not recover?
5.what is your opinion on all of the above information,including my raised ALT and pain?

Many thanks and Kind regards
Tags: Pain, worried, Hepititas b, saliva, LFTs, hep B
Welcome back to the Forum.  I will be happy to provide further comment although I do wish you could stop worrying about your exposure.  LFT abnormalities are non-specific and while they can be caused by any of several viruses, they are also caused by other non-STI infections, by other illnesses, in association with obesity and many other causes.  I urge you to believe your doctor.  The likelihood that your minor LFT abnormality is due to hepatitis B acquired from the exposure you described last year is virtually zero.

In answer to your specific questions:
Saliva is not a known vehicle for transmission of hepatitis B and is particularly implausible when considered in the context of transfer of saliva from person to person on someone's hands or fingers.

2.i was given the hepititas b vaccine 1 day after this event,is this
enough to stop infection?
Hepatitis B given immediately after an exposure is not 100% effective for preventing infection bu it does reduce the rate of infection.

No, anabolic steroids would not make the vaccine ineffective although anabolic steroids are a possible cause of LFT abnormalities.

No.

Right upper quadrant discomfort and LFT abnormalities suggest that your discomfort is due to a problem with your liver.  The likelihood that this  is hepatitis B acquired through the exposure you described last April or through exposure to the saliva of an infected person is virtually zero.

I hope these comments are helpful to you,.  I recommend that you work with our doctor on what is going on.   EWH
Thank you Dr Hook,one more question,I am going to have a hepititas b test tomorrow and I am terrified,is it safe to assume the vaccine series I've had will not turn the test positive?also you say the vaccine post exposure is not 100% effective!how effective is this vaccine post exposure?
Sorry to be a pain
Regards
TNo vaccine is perfect but the hepatitis B vaccine is ighly effect.

There should be no difficulty in differentiating your vaccine response from whether or not infection is present.

I am confident that you will find out tomorrow that you are fine.  EWH
Thank you Dr Hook much appreciated
Glad to help. EWH
Dr hook just though I'd let you know that my hepatitis b test was negative,as you said all along,I would just like to thank you for your advice,
Manny,many thanks and kind regards
Thank you for the follow up.   EWH