STDs Expert Forum
Herpes 1 or rash?

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Herpes 1 or rash?

Dear Doctors

This is a new follow-up of an old thread - questions are different though.

RECAP

* Was attended to by several strippers in back room of a hostess bar while very drunk. Between blackouts I recall genital rubbing (girl pulled underwear aside) but don’t know what else happened (perhaps more of the same by other women).

* Erection impossible in that state, but I cannot rule out getting oral sex from one or more women - though I have zero recollection of that.

* Bar owner later said girls do "entertainment, no action" (I went back and asked him, pretending to be a customer).

* Two days after, rash appeared over the penis. I think I masturbated with soap and failed to rinse.

* About three days after exposure, I noticed a red crater about 8mm diameter with two tiny pus-filled sacks in it where shaft meets the tip (I’m circumcised).

* Following day two different GPs 'confirm' herpes. No swab taken.

* Took viral suppressants and applied anti-bacterial cream and potassium chloride. After a few days (eight or so days after exposure) its virtually gone.

* Don't recall much if any itchiness or pain, and it never scabbed over – just gradually went.

* Tested negative for HSV-2 using IGG test 3 months and 10 days after exposure. Didn’t test for HSV-1 as I probably had it anyway.

* I sometimes get lesion on the side of my mouth but it looks more like Angular Chelitis. Aged 38, I'm statistically odds-on to have carried HPV1 before incident.

* 7.5 months after incident, no recurrance. Just very occasional itching which I probably always had.

1) How likely do you think Genital Herpes Type 1 is?

2) Would you recommend condoms for fellatio and vaginal sex from now?

3) What about if partner pregnant?

4) Given that I know I don't have HSV-2 anywhere in my system, am I a better bet statistically than most guys despite the incident? Or is that wishful thinking?

Thank you, J

Welcome to our Forum.  It this is a continuation of an old thread you have used a different pseudonym making it hard for me to review earlier exchanges.  Can you provide your previous pseudonym please?  In the meantime, I will go straight to your questions:

The evidence you provide suggests that this is not genital HSV at all. The contact, was most probably low risk and you do not know that any of your contact was with a person with HSV.  Visual diagnosis is wrong about 25% of the time and you have no evidence to confirm/suggest that you do (i.e. no positive blood test or recurrent lesions that what you had was HSV), and the speed of resolution of your original lesions was faster than is typical for HSV.  As for this being genital HSV-1, no, again unlikely since you think you already have oral HSV-1 and if you do, it would be most unusual for you to develop infection at a second site, not to mention there is no mention of even possible oral sex which would be how you would get HSV-1 genitally.

We always recommend condoms for all sexual encounters with new or casual partners as part of safer sex  counseling.  If you are asking if I think you have genital HSV and need to use condoms to prevent spread of infection however, the answer is no.

3) What about if partner pregnant?

Same answer.

I have no idea if you are a "better bet".  I doubt that the lesions you describe however were genital HSV.

I hope these comments are helpful. Please provide your earlier pseudonym.  EWH