STDs Expert Forum
Herpes Cure Research? To Dr. HHH
About This Forum:

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Herpes Cure Research? To Dr. HHH

Dr. Handsfield,

In a thread titled "HSV1 Exposure Concerns...Dr. Handsfield?", you say "I don't expect a cure for herpes in the next 20 years."  This was curious to me, and I'm happy to pay to post for your insights.  I understand I am only allowed two expert threads in six months, so this will be my last.

There is some fantastic Herpes research going on.  A couple highlghts:

Dr. Bryan Cullen at Duke University has found that microRNAs regulate herpes in it's latent form.  They will attempt therapy to disrupt the microRNA and wake the virus.  At that point, it'll be susceptible to Valtrex.  Potential cure.  http://mgm.duke.edu/faculty/cullen/

Professor David C. Bloom at University of Florida is using ribozymes to corrupt the herpes genetic material and shut down virus production.  It could be used to keep antibodies high, prevent recurrence and reduce or eliminate contagiousness.
http://news.ufl.edu/2009/02/03/herpes-2/

Professor David Knipe at Harvard is using HSV recombinants as vaccine candidates.  I believe this is in pre-clinical testing.
http://knipelab.med.harvard.edu/vaccine.html

And of course the GSK Herpevac trial, now complete:
http://www3.niaid.nih.gov/topics/genitalHerpes/research/herpevac/default.htm

It seems herpes is being studied very closely.  With advances in computer processing power, DNA work is becoming faster and less expensive.  And it's a huge market.  

Questions:
In your opinion, what are the biggest obstacles?  
-Difficult virus?  
-Lack of funding?  Pharma is losing its cash cows as generic HSV meds hit the market.  Wouldn't that get them excited about a new vaccine/cure profit center?  The University researchers need funding, for sure.
-Lack of interest?  Doesn't seem the case, but HSV is just an annoyance with few health implications.
-Timeline?  Do you think there WILL be a vaccine/cure, but it'll take 20 years to hit the market?
-Other?

Thanks for your insights in advance!