STDs Community
Herpes I, II CAN A CARRIER TEST NEGATIVE???

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

My boyfriend of six years just cheated on me for the first time 3 months ago. And is still seeing this woman.  When we first dated, I went and got completely checked for all STD's to insure my past relationship did not give me anything to carry forward.  I have a compromised immune system from low thyroid so and have been re-tested as recent as last year, and my boyfriend and myself have both done reasearch clinical studies in the past years have have been screened for STD's, so I know we both have been clear until now.  I have tested possitive on three seperate lab tests these last few weeks (I am in denial).  His tests just came back as "equivocal", and the other woman's tests (according to him as witnessed by her doctor) came back negative.  He swears (and I believe him), she is the only woman he has slept with.  I am the only one with history showing year after year of being negative, and he is the only man I have slept with these last six years..

I spoke with someone with the health department, and they told me that "equivocal" can reflect a recent infection and that it may take some time to show up on tests and to re-test in
3 months.

I am really confused..the other woman can be the only source of these infections..

Can a carrier test negative?  The other woman swears to have only been with her husband and my boyfriend.
Yes, you can test negative before antibodies have time to develop, which is typically 3 months but can take even longer.  And some people will never test positive, especially with HerpesSelect.  Most will test positive for HSV-2 within 3 months, but HSV-1 is not detected as easily with that test.

Testing with a Western Blot for herpes, if enough time has elapsed, will almost certainly rule the infection out or show a positive.  But since it's only been 3 months, and you don't know when the infection might have taken place, it's very difficult to say.

How did you test postive?  HerpesSelect?  And for HSV-1 or HSV-2?
I had my tests done thru the local labs here, they did not specifiy which test was used.  However, I also went to another lab for comparison, and they both tested positive. For both HSV 1 - 2. IgG my values were high, and I have a compromised immune system  (low thyroid) I am susceptable to infections.. His labs just came back and his value came out at "equivocal".. It is my understanding that that could also reflect a recent infections where the antibodies havent developed enough yet to show a true positive reading (that is what the health department told me today, they also said that it will almost often reflect a positive reading at a later time)

I would think that although I have tests that are negative that go back to 1998 specific for HSV,  that if I did have it, after six years, I should of had at least one out break, and he should have something as well.  We both did very well paid clinical reseach studies, which we both signed waivers for all STD testing.. so we know both of us have been screened several times and have had nothing prior to this.