STDs Expert Forum
Herpes Question

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Herpes Question

Okay so I have a very recent post that I guess was closed, however this is a completely unrelated issue.

Last night I came back from the gym, ate some mexican food, and went to look in the mirror when i noticed a small pimple like bump on the right side of my lip. It's been about 21 hours and there has been no change. My question is, if this was in fact a herpes outbreak (it would be my initial one) would it result in a single pimple like thing then turn into a blister? If that happens, how long does it usually take to blister.

I have discussed my anxiety here, and I was done worrying until this bump popped up. Please help
Initial herpes of the oral cavity usually causes multiple painful sores and severe sore throat, rarely only a single lesion.  It's probably a pimple, but of course I have no way of knowing whether you might be chronically infected with HSV-1 (half the population is, you know), in which case it might be recurrent herpes.  In any case, it has nothing to do with your recent sexual exposure, any food you ate, or exercise in the gym.

Please note the MedHelp rule that permits no more than 2 questions every 6 months on each of the professionally moderated forums (see Terms and Conditions), intended to prevent domination of forums by people with repeated anxiety driven questions.  A new one on this forum before next summer would be deleted without reply (and without refund of the posting fee).

HHH, MD
I was actually tested 2 years ago and was negative for HSV1, so if i was to have gotten it it would to have been from kissing in the past 2 months. It basically appeared out of nowhere. I understand there are supposed to be some signs leading up to it but one moment is was just there and it really put me into a bad state because of the timing.

Also what do you mean by severe sore throat?

Also just out of curiousity, if this was a cold sore at which point would it begin to blister and become a noticable cold sore and no longer look like a pimple?
I don't know how to say "severe sore throat" any more clearly.  It would be very painful, perhaps the worst sore throat you've ever had.

Your negative HSV-1 blood test makes herpes a lot less likely. However, the blood test misses up to 10-15% of people with HSV-1, so you could still have oral herpes despite that test result.

You seem to be confused about how herpes lesions develop.  Either a pimple or herpes starts out as a superficial red bump.  A typical herpes lesion typically becomes blister-like in a day or two, then more like a pimple, with yellow pus.  All things considered, it is most likely you just have a pimple.

If you want to work this out with more certainty, you'll have to visit a health care provider ASAP, preferably today.  If the doctor or clinic thinks the lesion should be tested for HSV, the sooner the better; waiting a few days usually means the test would be negative even if it's herpes.

If it turns out you do have oral herpes, it really isn't something that should "put [you] into a reallly bad state".  Half the population has oral herpes, and almost all of them find it no big deal, just a minor inconvenience, nothing that seriously affects their lives.
okay thanks for clearing some of this stuff up for me.

Only other questions I have are brief ones.

If this was herpes and not a pimple, wouldn't i feel a little pain with it as it came to the surface and began to blister? I felt nothing before it came and unless i mess with it I don't even notice its there.

But basically there is nothing here suggesting an initial outbreak?

tHANKS, im done after this
The amount of pain doesn't say much about either a pimple or herpes.

"But basically there is nothing here suggesting an initial outbreak?"  Did you think I might have changed my mind in the past few hours?

That will end this thread, unless and until you return to report any laboratory test results for herpes.