STDs Expert Forum
Herpes? What do you think?

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Herpes? What do you think?

I had noticed bumbs and a stinging sensation of the tip of my penis after having unprotected sex with my then girlfriend of 7 months. This is the first I have seen these bumps except for 1 bump I have had for 4 weeks. I have not been with anyone else and she hasn't either(or so she says) and says she was tested prior and was ok.

My symptoms are

--slight stinging/buring on the tip of penis(now going on 11 days)
--very small bumps mostly at the base and shaft of penis(noticed after sex)
--bumps are mostly scattered and not in clusters
--bumps are small like a pinhead and smaller but does appear to have a clear head vs. a white head
--bumps don't hurt and have not poped or blistered
--bumps have been there 11 days so far with not much change
--when erect the bumps are less noticable and don't hurt when I masterbate
--one bump which is the same as new ones has been there for a month

I do plan on getting tested but in the meantime I just wanted to get your opinion. The things that make me think it might be Herpes are the clear heads and the stinging penis head. The things that make me think it is not Herpes is the fact the one bump has been there for a month, the bumps aren't in clusters, the bumps haven't brusted and the bumps don't hurt.

What do you think? If it's not Herpes, when/how will these bumps go away and when will the stinging go away from the penis head? Thanks.
Tags: head, penis
This doesn't sound at all like herpes; I agree with your reasoning about why not.  But beyond that, I can only speculate about the cause.  It probably isn't an STD, although I suppose genital warts are possible.  Perhaps early molluscum contagiosum?

However, none of these should cause the stinging/burning you describe, so I wonder whether there is more than one problem.  Have you noticed any abnormal discharge from the penis?  Does your partner have symptoms?

I suggest you and your partner both be evaluated, preferably by the same provider.  You could visit a Planned Parenthood or public health family planning clinic, or an STD clinic; or your own health care provider(s) if you believe s/he has experience with STDs and genital infections.  Or a dermatologist.

Good luck--- HHH, MD
No discharge and it doesn't hurt when I urinate. I have had burning from time to time after sex but it never seems to last more than a couple of days at most. It just seems like the bumps and the stinging are related. I was just worried since the pics I have seen on the internet of herpes vary and sometimes it seems like they match what I have except mine are smaller, don't hurt and haven't blistered. Although because the bumps are small it's hard to tell.

I am thinking that the stinging maybe some foreskin irritation since much of my foreskin has grown back on the head of my penis. It's not red though.

I'm glad you think it's not herpes. I asked the dermo on this sight the same question and he said it sounded like cysts and not herpes. I just find it odd that they developed after sex.

Any more thoughts? Thank you for your help.

I've read a lot here and posted here as well.  Bottom line everyone who's had unprotected sex should go get tested for everything.  Don't wait for symptoms.  They might not happen.  I just got tested and am positive for type 2.  I've never had anything that I think was a herpes outbreak.
I cannot say more about what the condition might be; Dr. Rockoff's dermatological opinion is much more likey to be accurate than any guess from me.

HHH, MD