STDs Expert Forum
Herpes from Hand job Possibility

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Herpes from Hand job Possibility

Doctor,

Two weeks ago I received a hand job with saliva from a woman that I do not know. Two days later I felt a constant urge to urinate, and redness on the opening of the penis. The urge to urinate subsided after a week however I have a redness to the opening of my penis and a couple small smooth bumps. I know from reading your posts that herpes cannot be caught from a hand job, however I am still concerned. What do you believe this redness could be? Do you believe I should get a STD test?

Thank you for your time, I just want to make sure I might not need to be tested, and if I should be concerned.
Welcome to the forum. Thanks for your question.

Responding first to the title you chose for this thread, before reading the question itself:  hand-genital transmission of herpes is extremely rare, if it occurs at all.  In my 4 decades in the STD business, I have never seen a case.

Now I have read the question.  I'm suspicious of genitally focused anxiety, which is inflating trivial or entirely normal body sensations; or conceivably a physical or chemical irritation; but not herpes or any other STD.  Neither herpes nor any other STD causes increased urinary urge (especially in men); and "redness" of the urethral opening is very subjective, so I'm not sure that's abnormal.  And herpes or other STDs cannot cause "small smooth bumps" of the skin of the penis or anywhere else, especially this soon after exposure.

Since the symptoms are now clearing up, and given the essentially zero risk of any STD, I don't think you need be at all concerned, and you do not need to be examined or tested.

I hope this has helped.  Best wishes--  HHH, MD