STDs Expert Forum
Herpes negative - penis yeast infection?

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Doc,

A quick timeline:

A year + ago, I was treated for warts.  None noticed since then, but wanted to provide an adequate window for a reoccurance before resuming any sort of sex life.

Beginning of March - protected sex with a trusted person who believes they are STD free.

End of March, notice a few small pimples near the base that eventually pop and turn into one big popped blister looking area w/ the skin peeling a little.

By mid-April most of the shaft's skin is looking like areas of popped blisters or shallow cuts/lesions.  They heal and move around to other areas on the shaft.  Minor itching, no bleeding or puss or discharge of any kind.  The more I touch them the more they seem to persist and move around.

Herpes blood test at end of April shows I am HSV-1 and HSV-2 negative.  It was a blood test through a lab, not a doctor.  By now, the worst of the symptoms had been drastically reduced.  discover that men can get yeast infections and that it can be a lot like herpes.  So I bought tioconazole 6.5%. Several applications later, it seemed to help with the remaining symptoms but not entirely.  Presently there are still 1-2 spots that bear resemblance to the original symptoms.

Does this sound like it could've been a yeast infection or something else?  Is yeast persistent?

Thank you.
Yeast is an uncommon cause of the sort of penile symptoms you describe--and if you had a yeast infection, it probably would have cleared up quickly and completely on tioconazole.  You can rely on the negative HSV blood tests, so that's not a worry.  Perhaps it's not an infection at all, but eczema, lichen planus, allergy, or any number of other skin conditions.  At this point, you need to see a health care provider, perhaps a dermatologist.

Good luck--  HHH, MD
Dermatologist confirmed eczema.  I'm posting in the event any other men have similar symptoms.  It could certainly be eczema, which my derma. said is easily treated.