STDs Expert Forum
Herpes or Yeast
About This Forum:

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Font Size:
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Herpes or Yeast

I was told as a child that I have an overabundance of yeast in my body. I have always had tiny cuts in my mouth that would turn into painful ulcers and take days to heal. I have been sexually active since 2005. I had a full STI panel that included herpes done 7 months after my last sexual encounter come back negative in 2010. I started a relationship in 2010, 9 months after my test, and have been with the same person ever since. He recently had a full panel come back negative for everything 2 months ago. 1 month ago, I had been experiencing severe vaginal discomfort, and due to chronic bacterial vaginosis, I keep Flagyl on hand in case of a flare up. I took the 2gm dose which always sends me right into a yeast infection, which I generally prophylax with acidophilus. I began taking the acidophilus a couple days later because I noticed a discharge. No relief. I had one night of SEVERE vaginal itching and I looked in the morning and saw that I had small sores spread over my vagina and swelling of my labia. I know that I need to see a gynecologist, but I've been having some issues with mine lately (they called me with someone else's test results), so I'm trying to find a new doctor. I guess I have 3 questions. Could this possibly be a severe yeast infection? Is it possible to have a false negative herpes blood test? Is it possible to be intimate with a person, you have herpes and they don't? Would you get oral and genital herpes from having sex with an infected person?   Thank you.
Welcome to our Forum  I'll try to help.  Before I address your specific questions, I'd like to make a few comments about some of your ongoing gynecological problems.  Recurring bacterial vaginosis is, unfortunately, a rather common, and certainly troublesome problem. There are strategies for preventing recurrences such as periodic use of metronidazole gel (rather than pills) which you might explore with the guidance of a knowledgeable gynecologist.  

The current illness you describe sounds as though it could be a severe yeast infection. Such infections can cause all of the symptoms you describe, including genital swelling to the point that small erosions and ulcerations occur.  On the other hand an initial outbreak of genital herpes, due to either HSV-1 or HSV-2 can have the same appearance.  From the sounds of things, rather than suffering, you need to see a gynecologist who can perform tests and help you find out what is going on in order to manage it.  Further medication without testing is NOT in your best interest, nor is further delay in seeking evaluation.  

As for your specific questions:
Could this possibly be a severe yeast infection?
Yes, see above.

Is it possible to have a false negative herpes blood test?
Yes it is.  The blood tests for detection of antibodies to HSV-1 and HSV-2 are pretty good but not perfect.  If your current problem is HSV however, this is more likely an intial infection than a recurrence that was missed by a blood test.

Is it possible to be intimate with a person, you have herpes and they don't? Would you get oral and genital herpes from having sex with an infected person?
There are many instances in which one member of a coupe has HSV and the other does not, and does not acquire the infection.  

From the sound of your post, it appears that you mind is working overtime on what this might be and what to do about it.  At this time such guesswork serves no purpose however.,  I urge you to find a doctor that you trust, or return to your current gyn sooner than later and get evaluated.  I hope my comments are helpful. EWH
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D.Blank
University of Washington
Seattle, WA
MedHelp Health Answers
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
TMJ/TMJ The Connection Between Teet...
Jan 27 by Hamidreza Nassery , DMD, FICOI, FAGDBlank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank
Oct 04 by Lee Kirksey, MDBlank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...
Sep 18 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank