STDs Expert Forum
Herpes or just a rash? Please help

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Herpes or just a rash? Please help

I'm concerned if rash/bumps are an STD.  I
Tags: rash, penis
Herpes rarely occurs in the area you describe.  Red bumps in the pubic hair area most likely are folliculitis (hair follicle infection) and are often brought on by shaving. Also, herpes symptoms cannot show up 12 hours after catching it--never.  Of course the way to know is to see a personal health care provider.

1) Nope, doesn't sound like herpes or any other STD.

2) Aside from folliculitis and confidence it isn't herpes, I will not speculate about the cause.

3) See a provider and accept his or her advice about testing for herpes or other STDs.  From your description, I doubt it is necessary.

Good luck--  HHH, MD
Thanks, Doctor.  Just to clarify, it was 18 hours after sex that I first saw the signs - is that still absolutely too early for herpes to show up?  Just wanted to make sure.

I plan to follow your advice and see a provider as well.  Thanks again.  I really appreciate the time and advice!
Just incase he doesn't respond, it is absolutely too soon for those symptoms to show up. If indeed you had herpes, it would not be caused from the sexual encounter 18 hours prior.
Thanks for letting me know, Jeremy.  Much appreciated.

The doc today agreed it was not herpes.  He diagnosed it as molluscum contagiosum.    This is still confusing since the symptoms showed up the day after sex, but the ASHASTD and other sites all expect a much longer incubation period.  Still, I'm thankful it was nothing worse.