STDs Expert Forum
Herpes or just a rash? Please help
About This Forum:

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Herpes or just a rash? Please help

I'm concerned if rash/bumps are an STD.  I
Tags: rash, penis
Related Discussions
239123_tn?1267651214
Herpes rarely occurs in the area you describe.  Red bumps in the pubic hair area most likely are folliculitis (hair follicle infection) and are often brought on by shaving. Also, herpes symptoms cannot show up 12 hours after catching it--never.  Of course the way to know is to see a personal health care provider.

1) Nope, doesn't sound like herpes or any other STD.

2) Aside from folliculitis and confidence it isn't herpes, I will not speculate about the cause.

3) See a provider and accept his or her advice about testing for herpes or other STDs.  From your description, I doubt it is necessary.

Good luck--  HHH, MD
4 Comments
Blank
Thanks, Doctor.  Just to clarify, it was 18 hours after sex that I first saw the signs - is that still absolutely too early for herpes to show up?  Just wanted to make sure.

I plan to follow your advice and see a provider as well.  Thanks again.  I really appreciate the time and advice!
Blank
Just incase he doesn't respond, it is absolutely too soon for those symptoms to show up. If indeed you had herpes, it would not be caused from the sexual encounter 18 hours prior.
Blank
Thanks for letting me know, Jeremy.  Much appreciated.

The doc today agreed it was not herpes.  He diagnosed it as molluscum contagiosum.    This is still confusing since the symptoms showed up the day after sex, but the ASHASTD and other sites all expect a much longer incubation period.  Still, I'm thankful it was nothing worse.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank
Oct 04 by Lee Kirksey, MDBlank