STDs Expert Forum
Herpes via bloodstream

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Herpes via bloodstream
have genital herpes since the year of 2000. I have a 3 months old baby at home. 3 days ago I noticed an outbreak and started zovirax 800 mg per day (PO).
I wash my hands before I take her out of bed or change her or do something else with her.

I have a small small cut on my finger and I noticed it while I fed her so instinctively I licked thw wound and after she finished eating I gave her a kiss on the chick and put her in bed.

1. Is the virus can be found or be contagious through bloodstream in accordance to the details I just gave?

I am afraid that if the virus is in my blood and I licked the blood, I can cause a self transmission to my oral region and even worse - transmit it to my baby.

So many people all over the world have herpes, don't they have cuts here and there? whila shaving, making food etc'...I am sure people do not even think about it and just live their lives...Moreover precautions from herpes are always "skin to skin contact" never about blood...

Please enlight me.I am worried.

Thanks.
Relax.  Your baby is not at risk; no child gets HSV-2 from household contact.  HSV-2 does not circulate in the blood of infected people.  Transmission only occurs from direct contact with the virus at the site of an outbreak (either symptomatic or asymptomatic); in your case, that means genital secretions and NO other way.  All is well and your baby is not at risk.  If still in doubt, ask your baby's pediatrician; you will get the same response.

Good luck--  HHH, MD
THANK YOU DR, YOU MADE MY WEEKEND SHINY!!!!