STDs Expert Forum
Herpes?

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Herpes?

Hello

I suspect that a prostitute got some of her saliva on the inside of a condom before applying it. This was the middle of last month. I didn't protest at the time.

Three days later I felt a painful burning sensation on the head of my penis. Swollen and dried skin. Slight nausea, although that could have been from worry/bad diet.

A local family doctor thought penile yeast infection. Prescribed some anti-yeast/fungal cream.

The burning sensation has come back a couple of time over the intervening month; despite applying the anti-fungal cream.

No discharge, no blisters.

I've kind of suspected genital herpes from the off. The swelling/burning sensation now seems to be concentrated in a ring around the end of the gland (end as opposed to the tip) and mostly on the right hand side.

I'm awaiting results of a clamydia (chlamydia) and gonorhea test. That STD specialist suspected fungal rather herpes based on symptom description and brief physical examination.

Odds are its herpes, right?

Welcome to the forum.  Thanks for your question.

"Odds are its herpes, right?"  No, wrong.  From your description, herpes is very unlikely, for several reasons.  Herpes doesn't generally cause "Swollen and dried skin"; you weren't exposed (even if saliva were inside the condom, this wouldn't be a significant risk for herpes); and a visual diagnosis of a likely fungal (yeast) infection by an experienced doctor is pretty reliable.  Some fungi that cause such infections are resistant to some of the standard anti-fungal drugs, and my guess is that this will clear up with modified therapy.  Discuss it with your doctor.  In the meantime, I don't think you should be at all worried about herpes.

And by the way, you can also expect negative results from your gonorrhea and chlamydia tests.  The exposure described is unlikely to result in either of these STDs.

All things considered, I think you indeed have a non-sexually acquired penile yeast infection that probably has nothing to do with your recent sexual exposure.

Regards--  HHH, MD
Forgot to say that I didn't receive vaginal sex. Just oral, but the condom may have been "contaminated".
That was obvious.  But such contamination seems unlikely, and even if it happend would not be likely to transmit herpes.
Thank you for your reply.

So you suspect the culprit is a fungal infection rather than herpes.

When it first appeared it very painful. The incidents since have been milder.

I've been using a hydrocortisone/miconazole cream. What would an alternative treatment method be?  

This doesn't change my opinion or advice. if you have a fungal infection that is resistant to miconazole, the hydrocortisone component could actually make things worse. if your symptoms persist, return to your doctor. Since you have no STD, and that's the only topic for this forum, I won't have any more comments or advice.