STDs Expert Forum
Herpes?

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Herpes?

About 2 months ago I had sex with my wife who had had an affair which I did not know about at the time.  2 days later, she developed bumps that were diagnoesed as genital herpes.  During the sexual intercourse, we had unprotected anal sex.  Shortly afterwards I had burning urination which became unbearable and within a week I developed testicular pain.  I also had pimples in the pubic area and in the growin. The Dr. did ultrasound of the testicles and said I had eppiditimitis.  Also the rash was checked twice for herpes and came back negative. Dr. Thought they were foliclitis.  I was also checked for chlamydia and that turned out negative. Then I develped an extremely hypersensitive skin condition in my leg which moved up to my abdomen and stayed for about 3 weeks.  I was given two courses of antibiotics.  All symptoms disappeared.  Now 2 weeks ago, the hypersenstive skin condition reappeared but much less severe this time.  Also, I noticed 2 small red bumps pimple looking in my pubic area.  They did not look like blisters.  I also had painful unination and pain in the testicle again similar to the one I had before.  I applied bactrom to the pimples which seemed to help.  The pimples disappeared within a week or so leaving small scars.  Does it sound like herpes?  The bumps opened up after couple of days and healed quickly.
Your symptoms do not sound typical for herpes; certainly most of your symptoms are not due to it (the rash, pimples in the groin, epididymitis).  Your painful urination sounds like it could have been herpes, although anal sex carries risk of urethritis due to fecal fecal bacteria; I can't tell which applies to your case.

The bottom line is that there is no point in trying to figure out whether or not you have herpes based just on your symptoms.  You need diagnostic testing.  Tell your doctor you want a type-specific antibody test for HSV-1 and HSV-2.  But you might as well delay a few weeks before you do it.  It can take up to 3 months for the test to become positive, so wait until that much time has passed.

Good luck--  HHH, MD
Thank you Dr.  Could you please comment on the fact that the pimples that I recently had left small scars which I believe is uncommon for herpes. What about the recurring testicular pain?  I would love a comment on these symptoms and whether they could be due to herpes.
Pimples in the pubic area rarely are due to herpes; and as you suggest, herpes rarely leaves scars.  But the blood test remains the way to know for sure.

HHH, MD
Out of curiousity, is it possible (or likely) for genital herpes (either Hsv-1 or Hsv-2) to manifest itself only inside the urethra and not show on the head or shaft?