STDs Community
High Risk HPV -- what now? Please help.

Ask questions, get support regarding sexually transmitted diseases (STDs): chlamydia, crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Molluscum Contagiosum, pelvic inflammatory disease, rectal infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, yeast infection. For HPV/genital warts visit HPV Community. For Herpes please visit Herpes Community.

For AIDS/HIV issues, please visit HIV Prevention.

High Risk HPV -- what now? Please help.

My girlfriend had an abnormal pap test about a year ago, and returned to have a colposcopy(sp?) done afterward.  When discovering she had HPV, she initially freaked out and lashed out at me as a bad person who had slept around etc. either during (not true) or before (not true) our relationship.  The doctor who did the colposcopy really played down the HPV and said that it was fine, and normal and just to have another test done down the road.  Now that test has been done and just came back... she was told that she has a "high risk" HPV and is next going to be meeting with a specialist.  I have done all the research I can about what is next, what it means, and what can/will happen from here but really have no solid answers.  She is freaking out and assuming she will have cancer, problems with birth, etc. and I am trying to explain that she will be ok as long as she monitors it and sees the doc regularly.  

Please reaffirm my point (only if true) and help with any info you can.

Thanks in advance,

A Concerned Boyfriend
Tags: Cancer, test
Avatar n tn
she is 20, btw.
Avatar n tn
Not true?

So how did she get it?  Did you pass it to her or not? Regardless of the quantitiy, of girls you slept with....  if you have HPV and knowingly passed it to your young 20 year old gf....   I would think she has a right to be angry. You want us to paint a picure of roses of living with a non curable disease?

Sorry, it is not going to happen from me.
High risk HPV is a very common virus.  Actually hpv is so common, it's considered part of being a sexually active person.  While it is sexually transmitted, you don't necessarily have to have intercourse to get it.  Just rubbing your genitals against someone with hpv is enough to transmit the virus.  Condoms are usefull in preventing the spread of hpv, however they don't cover all the genitals so there is a small chance you could still transmit hpv to your lover.  Don't play the blame game with each other, it's a waste of time with hpv since you both could have brought it into the relationship.  I don't know why she is seeing a specialist, that seems a bit extreme.  For better information, go to the physicians STD forum and Dr. H has some great advice for hpv.  Also, please note that while 80% to 90% of the population will get HPV, only abt 1% will develop cancer.  And that's for women.  It doesn't really mean much to men.  It will not affect her ability to have children.
Also, there is not an HPV test for men yet so even if you had wanted one, they couldn't have tested you.

They only test women b/c it can lead to abnormal paps.  The great thing is that any abnormal cells can be removed/treated quite easily. Sometimes they don't even do anything for the abnormal cells because they often regress.  And while cervical cancer is a concern, it's really not that common. It can take 5 - 10 years to develop into cancer so that's alot of time and another great reason to see your gyn regularly as any woman would in most cases.

Just another FYI - High risk HPV is different than the low risk hpv which causes warts.  High risk HPV doesn't cause warts.  

Tell your gf to increase her folic acid intake to 800 mcg a day.  That will help a lot.  She has youth going for her and it's reasonable to say that the virus will regress and become dormant, never to be heard from again.

The paying STD forum has great question titled "My wife has HPV" that you and your gf may want to read.  Dr HHH explains alot in his answer.  

You and your girlfriend are going to be fine. It's really not something to make a big deal over.  HTH.
Avatar n tn
"if you have HPV and knowingly passed it to your young 20 year old gf"

I absolutely did not KNOWINGLY give anything to my girlfriend.  I had had 2 previous sexual relationships, and she had had 1 before we got together.  I got a full STD test done before we became intimate and it was completely clean -- I did not even know that HPV was a disease that i could give her, especially after being tested for "all STDs" according to the test, and being 100% clean.

Mayflowers, thanks for your response.
Avatar n tn
You're a f ucking idiot. Getting HPV is normal for sexually active people, it is completely useless for two people to try and track down the source of their HPV, and the majority of HPV cases never go on to become cancer, even the high risk types. There is no reason to make it sound like it's the end of the world for someone who has HPV, and since there is no test for HPV in men, there is no reason for you to be harping on the guy for "knowingly" giving HPV to his girlfriend.

Ignorant people like you need to shut their damn mouths.
RE: your msg to jimmy  -  I couldn't have said it better myself!!!  Great job!