STDs Expert Forum
Hiv/syphilis

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Hiv/syphilis

I had a full Std check 6 1/2 weeks after my last sexual contact.

This was a brief and condom protected contact with a female SW.

Everything was ok. The tests returned negative.

After two months (8 weeks) i got a small painless sore on the top of my penis.
I healed in two weeks. I didn't went to see a doctor.

Now 4 months later i have rash on my trunk. I have widespread pink/red bumps. No gever. I read some std 's Mike syphilis cause rashes. I have this rash already for 5 weeks. It started me to think about the sore i had.

Should i retest for syphilis and hiv?
Tags: HIV, syphilis
Welcome back to the forum.

Heterosexually transmitted syphilis is rare in most of the US, even in commercial sex workers; condoms are highly protective; and a syphlis blood test 6 weeks after the last exposure is generally considered 100% reliable.  Therefore, it is not likely that syphilis explains your symptoms.  That said, your symptoms sound quite typical for syphilis.

To be safest, you should see a doctor or clinic and get it checked out.  Also, the most common cause of penile sores is herpes -- so testing for HSV might also be a good idea.  However, I see no need for repeat HIV testing.  Do not self-test for either syphilis or HSV through an online service or laboratory; you need direct examination by a knowledgeable clinician.  Your local health department STD clinic would be an excellent choice.

Given your sexual history and testing, I very much doubt this will turn out to be syphilis.  But better safe than sorry.  Please return with a follow-up comment to let me know the outcome after you are examined and tested.

Regards--  HHH, MD
Ok. Thank you for your reaction.

I ll do a new test at the local clinic and keep you posted about the results. I do hope this isn t syphilis.

I m à bit confused about the images i see on the internet. The sores seem to be big and severe. Also images of the rash look like big brown patches. Mine are subtle small pink slightly raised spots mainly on the side parts of my upper body. I have very few elsewhere, only some on the arms.

Can an std be transmitted while taking of the condom? Often there is contact between the glans (glands) and the exterior of the condom.

I keep you posted.
Please note my advice that you be clinicall evaluated in person.  A blood test alone isn't sufficient for evaluation of symptoms like yours.

I doubt STDs are frequently transmitted when removing condoms, but of course there are no data.  Syphilis chancres and rashes are highly variable, from florid to very subtle.  Feel free to post your final test result, as you plan -- but there is no point in further discussion until then.

Went to the local STD clinic last week.

I really started seriously thinking about syphilis, as I'm having also bumps and spots on my handpalms.

The doctor told me it would be quite impossible to get syphilis, even with a CSW.
As it is so rare among heterosexuals. Still they found the rash on my trunk also quite unusual, but not typical for syphilis. They did a blood test.

The test came back yesterday and was negative. I'm relieved.
I will go and see a dermatologist for the rash, as it hasn't gone away after 6 weeks.

Thank you for your professional advise! It's a nice work you do on these forums.
Of course I'm not surprised by the STD clinic advice and your test result, but I'm glad you did it.  Seeing a dermatologist is the next logical step.

Thanks for the thanks about the forum.  Glad to have helped.  Drop by one last time and let me know the dermatologist's diagnosis.
Hi Doctor,

I finally went to a dermatologist to get my rash checked.

The doctor immediately diagnosed it as Lichen Planus.

The dermatologist said it could take up to 2 years for the rash to disappear.

Kind regards
Jan
Thanks for letting me know.  LP is a very common genital rash and generally is harmless.  I have no comment about how long it might last; your dermatologist knows a lot more about LP than I do.