STDs Community
How Common is Reinfection of Gonorrhea After Treatment?

Ask questions, get support regarding sexually transmitted diseases (STDs): chlamydia, crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Molluscum Contagiosum, pelvic inflammatory disease, rectal infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, yeast infection. For HPV/genital warts visit HPV Community. For Herpes please visit Herpes Community.

For AIDS/HIV issues, please visit HIV Prevention.

On February 24, I was treated for a gonorrhea infection with an injection of ceftriaxone in my hip and then prescribed four 250 mg Azithromycin pills to take in one dose later that day, which I did. My partner was prescribed 400 mg of Suprax (cefixime) and two 500 mg Azithromycin pills to take all at once, which he did that night. I watched him take them.

We didn't have sex again until eight days later, but when we did have sex again, we didn't use condoms. We assumed our treatments would work and that we'd be safe since we waited longer than the recommended seven days.

My question is, how common is reinfection in a situation like this? The only reason I'm asking is because of mild itching I keep having. I've gone back to the doctor twice for this and both times she did a swab and said I had a yeast infection and prescribed me fluconazole. She also told me she couldn't accurately retest me for gonorrhea until three months after my treatment, so I have no way to know right now if I am reinfected or not. That's why I want to know how common reinfection is since we both followed the instructions of our doctors after being treated.
Not common, since both medicated and both waited the time period to have sex again. I would also guess yeast from your symptoms and antibiotics.
Well the thing is after two yeast infection treatments, I'm still itchy. And I'm afraid to go back to the doctor again because I think they are getting tired of me coming in with the same complaint. It's been a month since I had the gonorrhea treatment.
If it's been a month then you can retest, but I would say go back to the Dr because if you still have some symptoms of something then some medication is not working correctly.
They told me I couldn't retest if it hadn't been three months. Like three months for gonorrhea, one month for chlamydia. And I've always seemed to have recurrent yeast infections so I'm not sure what's going on anymore and I don't think they do either. Maybe I should see a different doctor? I have no idea.
Okay, update. My student health clinic has given me wrong information before (telling me rocephin was the ONLY treatment for gonorrhea, ect.) so it's possible that telling me I had to wait three months after treatment to be retested could be wrong as well. I keep getting mixed answers though. Some places say to wait three months, others say to wait 30 days. What is correct? Because if it is 30 days and I got treated on February 24, surely with it being March 29 I can retest. I swear this will be my last question about it if you can provide some clearance.
I have always been told 30 days. This should give enough time for the medication to clear the body and thus having a proper result on a test.
Well I went ahead and got retested. My tests came back negative. Negative for chlamydia, gonorrhea, yeast, BV, everything. Which makes me wonder why I itch sometimes, but I guess it's nothing to worry about now. Thanks for your advice about getting retested.