STDs Community
How did I get infected with gonorrhea while using a condom?

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

I was diagnosed by my doctor with gonorrhea. I had a condom all the time when I had oral and vaginal sex with a csw. My doctor told me that since she put the condom through her mouth some saliva might have dripped thereby the only logical explanation on how i got infected. But I read somewhere here that you can't be infected with gonorrhea through saliva. I begin to worry that there might be a tear in the condom as to the reason why I got infected.

So is the saliva scenario a logical and possible explanation?
Hello

The Saliva scenario is an unlikely scenario for oral gonorrhea.    Did you have symptoms?  Did your doc do a confirmatory test before medication was taken?

You were at ZERO risk for gonorrhea from the exposure you describe.  If you did/do have gonorrhea you acquired it elsewhere.

Yes, I had a discharge. I did not have a confirmatory test because two days post encounter I notice a blood in my urine and I was diagnosed with uti by a doctor at a local clinic close to where I live. I was treated with cefuroxime for the uti. So my doctor at the hospital, told me that there's no need for the test it will come back negative after being treated for uti.

I actually just finished treatment with azithromycin for the gonorrhea. The doctor recommended an hiv test and vdrl for me. The test was done 26-27 days post encounter and both came back negative. So do you think there was a tear in the condom for the reason why I got infected?
Hello again.

So a doctor told you you had gonorrhea with out a single positive test?   That's a bad doctor.    

Again you were at ZERO risk for gonorrhea from what you describe.  

I doubt the condom broke ---you would have known if it did.   I wasn't there, but I would bet you money that it didn't.  

What ever you had .... UTI/NGU ... you acquired it before the initial encounter you posted about.

What about the discharge?
It was my first time to have sex and as i have said she put the condom through her mouth. I heard there's a chance she could teared with her teeth.
Penile discharge could be many things.  The ones I can think of are below.

1) UTI (not related to STDs mostly in elderly) or examples are chemical irritations from lotions, soaps, lubricants that get into urethra.

2) non-chlamydia NGU not related to STDs: from vaginal sex with relgular partner, or vaginal normal bacteria not friendly to urethra, or oral sex with regular partner (mouth normal bacteria not friendly to urethra), you can also get NGU from chemical irritations from lotions, soaps, lubricants that get into urethra.

3) Chlamydial NGU; this is STD related.  Its too late for you to test for chlamydia now.      Also you were at ZERO risk for Chlamydia infection from the exposure you described.

Have a goodnight.

HA!

I just saw your "first time you had sex"

Very unlikey that you got gonorrhea in your first time out.  Put that together with the fact that you were at ZERO risk for Gonorrhea from your exposure.   This is very good news.

Re-read my previous post about UTIs and non-chlamydial NGUs.

Thanks and goodnight. It's still daytime here in the far east.
Your very welcome.

12:50 am in California.

ZZzzzzz time for me.    
At this point,  wait another month and repeat your gonorrhea testing to be sure.  Gonorrhea is often resistant to azithromycin so proper follow up is a good idea.  

Grace
Resistant you mean it can't cure it?
When do you think should I get back to my doctor? I was thinking of going back tomorrow but my testing (doctor recommended a urinalysis) of one week after treatment isn't until monday. I've been doing a lot reading about azithromycin and gonorrhea and it seems there is a consensus that azithromycin is only one part of the treatment, ceftriaxone or cefixime should be taken with it. I'm worried because the doctor only prescribed two 500mg tablets of azithromycin and a lot of folks including the cdc that monotherapy of azithromycin is not recommended. The idea of monotherapy is 2g of azithromycin not 1g.

So do you think I should wait until monday or I can go back tomorrow? I'm worried that the gonorrhea might get stronger if it is indeed resistant.
you need to wait before returning. give the medications you were given time to work.
Well, i'm just worried if the prescription he gave me was enough. I hope your right about it working over time.
you have to give this at least a week . going back to be seen now won't do a lot of good since if they repeat any testing it could return with a false negative.   Certainly where you were seen needs to better check what they are prescribing - that wasn't even the right dose for chlamydia :(  

This is why electronic health records and prescriptions are so needed everywhere - it prevents errors like this !
Hi grace, I talked to my doctor over the phone. He said that if there is discharge by friday I should go to the hospital for a culture test. I also spoke to my uncle who is a doctor and said that my doctor gave me the right prescription and I asked about ceftriaxone and he said they will give that if that is what is according to the culture test.

Again, I began reading in the internet and wondered if the discharge could be about other infections. I'm worried about herpes. I never noticed any lesions but there can be lesions inside that can't be seen. I also read that penile discharge can be caused by herpes. Some say it doesn't, I don't really know what to think. I also read that blood in the urine is another symptom of herpes. I had that symptom two days after probably a day and a half after my last encounter. There were times were I also felt tired and lethargic but I started feeling better after starting taking the azithromycin. I was worried about hiv at first but test came back negative. At first I thought that maybe i was feeling that way because my body was fighting the bacteria but I also read that herpes can cause that too. There were also muscle pains in my thigh but nothing too painful.

What do you think, could I have herpes?

Happy Fourth of July!
I meant the blood in the urine happened a day and a half after my last encounter. I was diagnosed with uti by the doctor at a clinic near our place. Gave me cefuroxime to clear that up.
you won't get discharge like this with herpes.

no, it was not the right dose of azithromycin - it is the 2gm dose, not 1 gm.
You sure, I think even you said in one of the threads here that discharge can be caused by herpes if its clear the one that jasonlonndon started. Mines whitish, sometimes yellow. Herpes is confusing, Dr. Hook and Handsfield said that if you don't develop lesions within two weeks from exposure, you got nothing to worry about but lesions can happen inside right?
My eyes are a red too right now. Is that a symptom of gonorrhea? Probably just feeling sleepy. 2 am here already.
discharge with herpes is mostly with females, not males. It's also always only clear.

if you had urethral herpes lesions, you'd be crying every time you took a pee - trust me on this one!
Thank you, that made feel a lot better. So can herpes be ruled out?
your symptoms do not sound like herpes.
Hi Grace, can I have your opinion how did I got infected? Do you think the saliva scenario of my doctor was possible and logical or do you agree with jessy or condom failure as the only logical explanation?
You don't even have a positive gonorrhea test so we can't say what you were infected with if anything.
Hi jessy, I think I'm finally finding your argument logical. The csw did give me a handjob without a condom after the protected oral and vaginal sex. She used a lubricant because I did not ejaculate I don't know what it was exactly thereby making nonchlymidial ngu possible. The only thing that making me doubt that argument is dr. Hook and handsfield has repeatedly said that chemical irritations causing ngu won't infect you for too long.
Hi jessy, I think I'm finally finding your argument logical. The csw did give me a handjob without a cond
Iphone is so f'd up.
Awesome.

It's a very good thing to be logical.  Also to begin to think correctly is good too.   Great news.

They (the irritations) caused by chemicals usually do go away.  I had a chemical irritation in my urethra the other weekend.  Darn those massage parlous.  Someone should tell them to try not to get lube in urethra.  

The problem is until now I still have discharge from my penis. Can it still be nonstd ngu caused by chemical irritations at this point. It has been a week since I finished treatment with 1g azithromycin.
Do condoms develop small tears that lead to small holes do they break wide open everytime they fail?
No they do not, if a hole happens it breaks wide open
Thanks Vance, hey i'm about to start retreatment with ceftriaxone and levofloxacine after the culture test of my discharge comes back. Do you think my doctor gave me the right prescription?
You mean the condom itself breaks wide open. So if it happens it noticeable?
I can't comment on medication.

Yes it is very noticible.
Hi, grace I have this weird red thing on my hand. Looks to me like herpes zoster. My question is can you have herpes zoster in your hands even if you never noticed lesions in your genital area suggestive of hsv 2?
Post herpes questions in the Herpes forum please
Hey, the results of my culture tests of my penile discharge came back and the organism identified was staphylococcus haemolyticus and it was sensitive to cipro, co-trimoxazole, linezolid, and vancomycin. I still took the prescribed treatment of my doctor a shot if ceftriaxone and levofloxacin for 10 days. My questions are:                                                                                                            1. What exactly is staphylococcus haemolyticus? I haven't discussed it with my doctor yet. But he said to me over the phone that a gonoccocal infection should not be ruled out yet. Is the culture test accurate be s. haemolyticus the only thing it found?                                                                                            2. My doctor also said i don't have to trade levox for cipro since it is the same class and levox is stronger. Is he right?                                                                3. Lastly, I read that calcium containing products should not be administered within 48 hours from the injection of ceftriaxone and when on levox, you should also avoid calcium. I just had a cheeseburger from McDonald's for dinner. Does that count and if it does is my treatment screwed?
1. It's a staph infection, not a STD. Should be accurate but not sure whatelse he is doing, but I see no reason to think of a STD.
2. Not sure
3. Not sure

We are not qualified to answer medication questions here.
Thanks Vance, so can it be classified as an NGU since said staph infection caused a penile discharge. Plus, how did I acquire such staph infection or if its normally present in everybody, what triggered it?
Vance, can this staph infection be caused by hiv? I read in the internet that staph infections are more common in people with hiv but they are also prevalent in people without hiv.
It's just bacteria, can be aquired from a number of things
Thanks Vance. So that's a no? Hope you don't mind. I'll ask this question in hiv prevention board.
No is correct
Happy Birthday btw.
Oh! sorry its teak's birthday!
Hi Vance, I'm almost finish with my retreatment. As you know, the culture of my penile discharge says that it staphylococcus haemolyticus and my doctor prescribed me with a shot of rocephin and levofloxacin 10 day treatment. There's only two tablets of levox left and there's still discharge. I mean it disappeared a few days but came back again. Shouldn't it be cleared by now? I'm getting really impatient with this problem. Many thanks!
give it an additional week after finishing your antibiotics. if you still have discharge and/or pain then, return for further testing.  

grace
How can I make the discharge come out from my penis for a culture test?
you don't have to make discharge come out. they will test with either urine testing or a swab inside your urethra.
No, they're asking me to catch the discharge from my penis with the swab stick or smear whatever you wanna call it and then spread the discharge at a glass for the microscope and put the swab stick at a glass bottle.
Vance, what does it mean if there is no wbc found in urine but the discharge from the penis persists. The presence of bacteria and epithelial cells is few.
The smear i was taking about was for the gram stain.
You should really we woking with your Dr on this now and asking all questions to him.
I already did. He just said we'll see. I was hoping you guys had answers.
Should penile discharge be continuous or it can be single droplet?
I just finished another treatment of antibiotic (cipro) after another culture sensitivity test. I finished the treatment two days ago, and the last discharge I had was six days ago. After I peeing I stood up went I outside for a smoke and I felt a slight drop from my urethra. I checked it and there was nothing at tip of the penis (I'm circumcized) but I checked foreskin which somewhat glued to the lower head and so a fluid there, it looked white. I wasn't sure if it was discharge or urine. What could it be?
this doesn't sound like a std related discharge.

continue to follow up with an urologist regularly.

grace
i wanted no why i had to go back to hospital for three times to get a injection same time every day plus they gave me pill to take the week later they never said much to me but i was playing up on my wife andabout two three i got very sore testies and if was sore i thought at the time it was a pull because 8 years ago i had the snip but all they said you have to have these injection and tablets the week after did thatmean i had a std
Hi Grace, my urologist said I'm okay now. The discharge he said was just prostatic fluid mixed with urine because my prostate was decongested. Plus, the rash on my penis that I asked about which I thought was herpes was only due to seborrhea according to a dermatologist that i consulted.

I also got tested for HIV, Syphilis, and Chlaymidia , which all came back negative. My lingering concern is the possibility of asymptomatic herpes. I read in the forums that asymptomatic herpes is common and I keep thinking what if I am one of those are asymptomatic? Its frustrating that absence of symptoms doesn't rule it out since the asymptomatic infection is very common according to Dr. HHH. I strongly think that I am being paranoid I have extremely little reason to believe I have it but the high rate of asymptomatic infection bugs me. So, can you help me shed a little light on my final concerns?
Grace, please answer my question. :)
patience :)  I work full time and have a family!

have you had type specific herpes igg blood testing to see what your status is?
Hi Grace, i thought you were mad at me haha. No since my doctors said that tests are not perfect plus I don't have any symptoms. However, Dr. HHH mentioned that asymptomatic herpes is also common so I'm a bit worried about that.
Plus, with the rates that has been spoken about herpes in this forum, wouldn't most people in the world have been exposed to herpes unless you've abstained from sex all of your life or you've had only one partner all your life with a confirmed negative hsv 2 status?