STDs Expert Forum
How did I get this?

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

How did I get this?

I was diagnosed with Trichomonas today. I am married so of course there are questions. I know I have not been unfaithful in my marriage and my husband says neither has he. Is this something that one of us may have contracted from a public restroom or is only contracted through sexual intercourse?
The first thing is to confirm the diagnosis, i.e. make sure it was reliably made.  Sometimes a pap smear is interpreted as showing trichomonas, but that can be unreliable.  Ask your provider whether trich was seen on a "wet mount" test or by culture.  Those tests are reliable.

Assuming you indeed have trichomonas, it is possible that you have been carrying the organism for a long time.  You don't say how long you have been married, but trich can be carried for years and then show up on testing.  Another clue is whether you have symptoms.  Did trich get diagnosed because you developed a new discharge, vaginal odor, or other symptoms?  That may make it more likely it was recently acquired.  If it showed up on a routine exam and you had no symptoms, that is more suggestive of longstanding infection.  (These are not firm indicators, just clues.)

If these explanations don't pan out, then it is likely that your husband brought the infection into your relationship.  Chronic asymptomatic infection may occur in men, but is believed to be rare.  But you are in a much better position than I am to judge his fidelity and truthfulness.

Trichomonas is not acquired from toilet seats, and it is not known to be acquired by any route except sex.  However, trich is seen more commonly than other STDs in situations like yours than, ie in monogamous couples.  Whether there is a non-sexual route of acquisition just isn't known for sure.

Finally, if not yet done, be sure you get tested for other common STDs.  Up to a quarter of people with trich also have chlamydia or gonorrhea.

Best wishes--  HHH, MD
Thank you for such a quick response to my question. My husband and I have been married for over four years. The test that found the trichomonas was a culture. However, after finding the trichomonas the doctor went ahead and sent off a sample to be tested for gonorrhea and syphillis (syphilis) (results will be in next week). I just started having symptoms a few weeks ago and thought it was a yeast infection that just wouldn't go away, despite taking diflucan twice and using monistat cream. I asked the doctor if the only way I could've got trichomonas was through sex and she said the most common way to contract it was through sex but there is a chance I could've got it in a public restroom. On a Womens Health website I read an article that said it could be caught fromm a toliet seat, but you and the CDC says it can't be caught that way.I'm really confused.
There simply are no scientific data to support non-sexual transmission of trichomonas, whether from toilet seats, shared towels (another common myth), or other magical routes.  Any website (or any source) that says otherwise is relying on unreliable word of mouth and face-saving beliefs, not science.  However, trich indeed can be carried for at least 4 years before diagnosis, so new diagnosis doesn't necessarily mean recent infection.

HHH, MD
I have had a long and embarresing problem since I was in my teens, I had contacted gonorrhoea as a young boy and was to embarrased to go to the doctor, I was completly ignorant that you could go to the clinic and get treated! anyway a couple of months had passed untill I managed to pick up the courage and see my doctor. He sent me to the clinc and was tested and found to be clear of any STD, however I explained my symtoms (symptoms) that I had had a greenish/yellow disharge and burning sensation when I urinated. I was sent packing and told to go and shag my brains out?? because no STD had been found!. My first contact after being given the all clear, I noticed that I started to discharge a foul smelling clear sticky fluid and found this very strange and I still had a burning sensation when I urinated. I had unprotected sex with my new partner and after a few days she developed a very similar odour from her vagina, we had a shouting match and me being accused of transmitting an STD to her. this has been the same symtoms (symptoms) with every new partner I have been with. I think that I am transmitting some bug to my parner that is not being picked up in cultures and suspect trichomonasis as the culprit. please help!!
A related discussion, uti was started.