STDs Community
How likely is it that warts will return after 3 years?

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

First of all, thanks in advance for taking the time to read/respond to this...I'm desperate for some kind of an answer!

To start, I was diagnosed with genital warts about 3 years ago.  I only had one small one and although it was quite small I was pretty certain it was a genital wart before being examined because the tip was rough and light in colour.  I had it frozen off and, to my knowledge, had no reccurances.  Needless to say, after breaking it off with the ex who gave it to me it really put a damper on my dating/sex life.  After two years had past with no signs of anything going on down there, from what I had read I thought maybe I was in the clear.  Fast forward to a couple months ago (early February) I met someone new, told him about my past with this condition and to my surprise he was fairly accepting.  So I decided to take a look down there just to be on the safe side and to my horror I noticed a few small bumps on either side of the opening to my vagina.  They're the same colour and texture as the skin around them, just small raised bumps, almost like little 'waves' (for lack of a better description) in a line, so they don't quite look like what I had when it was first diagnosed.  To make a long story short, since February I have been to 3 different clinics and saw 4 different health care professionals and non of them can give me a real yes or no answer.  All of them say they don't THINK they're anything to be concerned about but given my history, they don't really know for sure.  I finally got a referral for a biopsy but I can't get in for that until August and I will go crazy thinking about it til then!  Also, I'd like to have some kind of answer as soon as possible so this new guy and I can make a better decision as to whether it's a good idea to move forward with the whole intimacy thing or not.  I understand that you can not really give me any REAL answers either but there's a few things I'm confused about....

1) How likely is it that the warts would all of a sudden come back 3 years later? (Also, I have had NO sexual partners since the one who I contracted this from so I know it wouldn't be a new strain of HPV)

2) I noticed these in early February, it is now early May and they have not really changed at all.  Could these just be warts in the very early stages?  And if so, how long does it usually take for them to develop into something that would be more clearly a wart?  Would they stay in this early stage for 3 months?  What do genital warts generally look like early on?

3) I'm not sure how long these have been there since I hadn't looked at myself in a while but I don't remember them ALWAYS being there.  2 of the doctors I saw said they thing they could be 'hymenal glands' or something like that.  I googled this and found nothing.  I know it isn't a bartholin cyst so what are these "hymenal glands"?  And if it isn't warts is it possible for the skin down there to just change for no apparent reason?    

I'm just so confused by this virus.  Some people say it goes away, others say it can come back at any time.  I feel like anyone I'm with in the future will just have to be okay with contracting this from me because there will always be a chance that will happen, but who would actually be 'okay' with that?  I really appreciate any info I can get as this is causing me a great deal of anxiety.

sidenote: the doctor also sprayed them with vinegar and said they didn't 'light up' but I'm not sure how dependable this is because from what I've read they should be covered in vinegar for a few minutes, not just sprayed.  Am I wrong?
I don't know a lot about HPV but will do my best to help.

1) Not likely from all that I have read

2) Not sure, I don't have enough knowledge to say one way or another

3) I know bumps can come on for many reasons and don't have to be realted to a STD.

As I said I don't know much but here is what I do know. When someone gets HPV the body often gets ri of it on it's own. My wife was diagnosed with HPV a couple of years before we met. She told me about it...I didn't really care either way. She only had her inital outbreak and never had another. Using condoms would greatly decrease the chance of passing HPV is that is what these are.

Try going into the "Expert" community. You can pay to post a question to the Dr's or you can use the search field and look for questions similar to yours.