STDs Community
How long can a women be infected with Trichomonas before symptoms appea...

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

How long can a women be infected with Trichomonas before symptoms appear.

I have been married to my wife for two months now . The last time she says that she had sex with someone else was   eight months ago. And she has just now had a pap for the first time in two years. And the results came back with an infection in her phyloppium tubes and an std called Trichomonas. But my question is could she have contracted std called Trichomonas eight months ago without any symptons even thougth she has complained with pain during sex with me. Which was kind of odd because we were together three years ago and she never complained with pain. And I know that I have not been with anyone else in fourteen months and not showing any symptoms at all.  Has she been cheating on me ?

This discussion is related to How can a person get infected?.
I do not know enough about the disease but I had it too and my boyfriend said he did not cheat on me and that he had to have already had it. I had a culture that did not show trichomonas. Then a month or so later I had another one and a pap smear and it showed up on the pap smear. My doctor kept treating me for bv and I did not have bv. This lead me to believe that sometimes the tests miss the disease. It was not until she changed my medication that I saw an improvement.

I also know that in rare cases it can be caught in non sexual ways. It can come from someone using your wash cloth and you turning around and using it right after them. I have even heard one weird case about someone catching it that had not had sex at all in her life.

It can be nearly impossible to figure out where it came from. Sometimes men and women have it and do not even show symptoms. I know my boyfriend did not show symptoms at all. I was on the other had extremely uncomfortable. It was about 8 months into my relationship with my boyfriend when I showed symptoms.

I do know it had been at least two years since I had unprotected sex with anyone before him.  

If she was complaining of pain it may very well be likely she had an infection for some time. However, since I am not a doctor, I can not verify this. I can not verify the incubation period either and so many people do not show symptoms.

Pain during sex is a sign of infection but some people have infections and do not have pain. Stds are a tricky thing because some stds can be contracted without a person knowing for a long time. I do know that you should be treated as well or the std will get passed back and forth between you two.

Trichomonas can be very stubborn and hard to get rid of at times. I was having problems with it for 3 months before my doctor discovered I had it. Then after it was treated I was still having problems. But I am not sure if it was trichomonas or if I developed bv after treating the trichomonas.

The std causes pain, a lot of discharge, yellow or yellow green discharge, swelling and it smells bad (these are if the person shows symptoms). So, make sure she gets treated.

Perhaps she did not cheat. How can you tell what is going on if you can not tell where it came from or how long it has been there?

I know this is probably not the answer you want. And I know how you feel about it because I thought the same thing when I found out I had it. I was like did he cheat on me? I confronted him and he said he did not cheat on me and that he had to have come into the relationship with it. I do know that his ex wife cheated on him and he claims she and I are the only people he has ever had unprotected sex with.

I too went two years without a pap which you should not ever do. It should be done yearly just as std check ups should be even if you are married. I do wish you the best with this. I think the most important thing to do right now is just make sure you both are healthy.
Hey,

In this forum the doctor said it could be dormant for years.
Check this out...

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/246057
I was just diagnosed with Trichomonas.  I just got married. My last sexual partner was 13 years ago and I reframed from sex PERIOD, for religious and spirituality reasons.  My new husband is about 30 years my Senior and he has issues with irection and we have never consumated our marriage; he seems to be very interested in helping out young men in their careers and inviting them over to our home for dinner.  After being diagnosed with an STD and KNOW for a fact I have not had sex with any one this century I am puzzled as to how I contracted an STD. After we were married, my husband did tell me that he signed up for a few dating services.  I am going to be retested next week to be certain and my doctor told me if this test comes back with the same results, then I should bring my husband in to be tested as well.  If he comes back positive with an STD, does this mean I contracted it through him by way of possibly a toilet seat or towel [I have scolded him about using my towels, which he often does and says he just wants to feel closer to me by doing such].  Please help!

I was diagnosed with Trichomonas about a month ago. I have been married for 9 years. My husband has been tested and his came back negative. Neither one of us have been with another person for at least 10 years. How could I have gotten this?