STDs Community
How long does it take for trich to clear up??

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

I am a lab tech. Recently, I had a UTI I was being treated for. I checked my urine to see if the bacteria was gone and discovered I had trich. I only saw one throughout the slide, but that was enough. Now, I did have a positive UTI. My nitrite was positive. I went to the dr and recieved medication for it. But, I am a bit confused. When my boyfriend and I initially had sex, I had a pap smear done. Nothing was detected. At that same time, I had all the symptoms of a UTI without the nitrite being positive. But, I believe this was when I infected. Is it possible for a pap smear not to show trich. My dr. said yes, but, I wanted to comfirmed it. I also caught trich from an unfaithful partner three years ago. I was treated for it then. Is it possible to carry it with no symptoms for three years and then all of a sudden have symptoms???

My boyfriend also got tested for everything a couple of month later. Nothing came up there either. But, after the initial treatment for the UTI, I still had minor itching and a lot of discharge. Now, he went to the dr's office and got tested again, urine and swab, and he is still coming up negative. He took the medication anyways to put my mind at ease.  I don't understand why his tests are negative. I have only had sex with him. He's never given me a reason to think he's done anything outside of me.

I also want to know how long does it take for it to clear up. I mean, everything, the symptoms and the organism itself. The discharge has reduced significantly. I recieved medication that I had to take twice in one day. I believe it started with a M. It was 500mg per dose or per pill, I believe. It was two pills per dose.

Yes, a pap smear only looks for abnormal cells on the cervix.  Sometimes it will detect an std, but more often than not, it doesn't.

Trich is really hard to find in men, so I'm not surprised he is testing negative, and has no symptoms.  That doesn't mean he doesn't have it.  It just means we have no really good way of finding it in men.

To cure it takes up to 7 days, and you and your partner should not have sex until a full 7 days has passed from the day the last pill was taken (as in, whoever got treated last, wait 7 days from then, and then you can have sex).

Its totally possible that he has had this for a long time and didn't know it.  Trich isn't an std that signals recent cheating by itself.

Aj