STDs Community
How long does it take to show symptoms after sex?

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

I've been with one partner for about 3 months and have had oral/vaginal intercourse. It is just now that he has shown symptoms of gonorrhea. I, however, show no symptoms. My question is: 1) Is it possible for this to occur only now after 3 months of sex? and 2) I researched online and it said it doesn't take long after infection for symptoms to occur, as little as a few days. Why did he only get symptoms now after 3 months?
1. Yes, if you had gonorrhea it does not have to infect him the 1st time or even the 100th time having unprotected sex. And in men symptoms will show about 90% of the time and in women it is closer to 50%.
2. See my above answer.

I would advise both of you to test. If you do not test positive for gonorrhea and he does test positive then it is an indication that he has gone outside of the relationship.

When was the last time you had unprotcted sex with someone other then him?
Have an STDs question?
100,000+ doctor answers