STDs Expert Forum
How long will Trichomonas last if untreated

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

If a male contacted trichomonas and had no symptoms (therefore it was never treated) would the infection last a lifetime
or would it clear up (be eliminated) on it's own as result of the bodies immune system.

If it would clear up (be eliminated) on it's own how long would it take.
Welcome back to the forum.  You've spent a lot on posting fees over the years!

The duration of untreated trichomoniasis has never been systematically studied.  Since it often is diagnosed in women who have not had sex for many years, obviously it sometimes can last very long.  However, many (most?) cases may clear up on their own.  There is even less information in men.  Most experts suspect trich in men usually clears up within a few months, but prolonged carriage probably occurs in some.

Trich is believed to be harmless in men.  If you have had a female partner in whom trich was diagnosed, you should have been treated.  Also, if you have had nongonococcal urethritis that did not respond to the usual antibiotics, you should be treated for possible trichomonas.  If neither of these applies, you shouldn't worry about it.  (There is no readily available, accurate test for trich in men.)

Regards--  HHH, MD

I have an enlarged prostrate and saw some study that Trich could cause a higher
rate of cancer, so I wondered.  Personally, I've never had any symptoms and never
felt it was something to be concerned about.    But in light of the aforegoing just wondered.

Thanks again for all the help you've been over the years.
I don't know where you heard about trich and cancer of the prostate (or any other organ).  As far as I know that isn't true.
Here is the link.  I haven't went into it much further than the headline; but for what it's worth here it is.  My PSA jumped up; and I was thinking about having a biopsy done which prompted some looking around.

Primary source: Journal of the National Cancer Institute
Source reference:
Stark JR, et al "Prospective study of trichomonas vaginalis infection and prostate cancer incidence and mortality: Physicians' Health Study" J Natl Cancer Inst 2009; DOI: 10.1093/jnci/djp306.