STDs Expert Forum
How soon do Genital Warts Appear if infected

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Recently I had partial unprotected sexual intercourse (used condom part of time) with a person of unknown sexual history. Approximately 1-2 weeks afterwards I noticed a small pimple sized but firm skin colored bump at the base of my penis where the pubic hair begins. It's possible it was there before but that is when I first noticed it. It is smooth and also a little shiney and not painful. I proceeded to pick at it thinking it was a pimple and it did not pop but did bleed. I had a few questions about this -

1.)Does this sound like a genital wart?
2.)How soon after becoming infected with HPV does someone experience "symptoms" if they are to get a genital wart(s)? Most of the information on the internet says most warts take several weeks to months to show up. If I was infected by this one time sexual encounter wouldn't it be too soon for a wart to show up (1-2 weeks)?
3.)Is it true that the virus usually completely clears itself from a human body 90% percent of the time?

Thanks,
John
Welcome to the STD forum.  The quick answer to the question as you posed it in the title is that warts generally appear 3-12 weeks after exposure.  Maybe as soon as 2 weeks, but certainly never earlier than that.

Now, after reading the question itself:  This isn't a wart, at least not one you acquried during the sexual exposure "1-2 weeks" earlier.  The description doesn't sound like a wart either.  Most warts are not smooth (although that can happen) and usually more than one wart is apparent.

This might be a minor anatomic variation of your skin.  Another possibility that comes to mind is molluscum contagiosum.  MC is a minor viral infection that causes shiny pink superficial skin bumps; as they enlarge, often a dimple can be seen in the center.  MC is a trivial condition with no complications and is easily treated.  If you are reasonably certain the bump is new, see a health care provider.

I think those comments cover questions 1 and 2.  It is true that over 90% of genital warts and other HPV infections clear up on their own within a few months.

I hope this helps.  Best wishes--  HHH, MD
i found thid very helpfull :) thanks
I recently had a break-out after 4 months being with the same partner. I had un protected sex prior to him but I am assuming I got it from my now partner due to times.
Is there a chance he is a carrier but never will break out?
Do u think I got it prior or from him?
Is it bad to keep having un protective sex?
I'm embarssed and haven't told him. Somehow he hasn't noticed - don't ask me how. Is it wrong I say nothing? I have been getting treated for 3 months but it seems to be getting worse by not better.