STDs Community
Husband has scrotal infection??

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

Husband has scrotal infection??

My husband has been having scrotal pain and a small lump.  He had an ultrasound and found no cancer.  He says the Dr. said he had an infection and perscribed antibiotics.  He says the Dr. didn't run any other tests.  I am assuming this is epididymitis.  He is uncirumcised and doesn't have any other symptoms of an infection (UTI).  What would be the cause of this?  Is it from an STD otherwise?  Shouldn't the Dr. have done at least a urine test to check for an infection?  He claims it can't be an STD because he hasn't cheated but of course he would say that.  Do I have reason for concern or could he just have an infection for no apparant reason?  He says he had a mild scrotal injury from a ball when he was young.  He says he hasn't had a sex drive for a couple of months and the Dr. says that this was the cause and was normal but how could the Dr. know it was an infection and what type to treat if she didn't run any tests?
The pain and lump is probably unrelated to a STD. I think the Dr should have tested his urine but maybe during the exam the Dr saw something that led him down a different path.

If it was a STD you would have to be notified or the STD would be passed back and forth between you two.
Infections can happen that are not related to a STD. i would not be too concerned but I would talk with your husband to maybe find out what medication he has been given and ask him to follow up with the Dr to see if you need to be treated for anything. This might help you out.
Thanks for the response.  He is now telling me that the Dr. did a urine test to check for UTI and it came back negative but she gave him a script for Cipro 500mg 2xday for 10 days.  He isn't running a fever so I wonder why she would assume it was an infection.  

As far as if it was an STD he would have the responsibility of notifying me and in the event that he was lying I assume he wouldn't say anything if he didn't see me having any symptoms even though I know that it could be asymptomatic.  Maybe I am just being paranoid but I take these things very seriously.

Another reason that added to my concern is that I do remember him complaining of being "uncomfortable" urinating a while back and he showed me the head of his penis that was red and irritated around the urethral opening.  It raised a flag for me but he said it was nothing, it happend from time to time and it would go away.  That combined with him not wanting to have sex the last few months raises a flag.

I asked him to go with me to take STD tests and I offered to take them with him but he is refusing citing that he is offended.  I want to trust him but have a hard time trusting anyone and this is not something I play around with.

PLEASE!!!!!!  If you have any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated!
Well cipro can be used for many things.
Why not go get tested yourself for STD's, if you come up clean then you have no real worries.
I don't have insurance but I am planning on finding a clinic and doing so.  The thing is, we haven't been having sex so just because I come up clean won't necessarily ease my mind.  :(
A clinic would be able to test you. But other then that you have to trust your husband because I can not say what he has or doesn't have only his test and his Dr would be able to say that.