STDs Community
I can't seem to get rid of syphilis after repeated treatments

Ask questions, get support regarding sexually transmitted diseases (STDs): chlamydia, crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Molluscum Contagiosum, pelvic inflammatory disease, rectal infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, yeast infection. For HPV/genital warts visit HPV Community. For Herpes please visit Herpes Community.

For AIDS/HIV issues, please visit HIV Prevention.

I was first diagnosed in 8-04 and treated with penicillin.  I was retested in 1-05 and my numbers were elevated so my doctor decided that I was resistant to penicillin  so they gave a round of another antibiotic.  I tested again in 12-05 and my numbers were elevated again.  That time I went to the health department for treatment and was given 3 shots of penicillin.

I have been in a monogamous relationship since my first test in 8-04.  My partner has tested negative every time.  I am HIV -

So here it is 6-07 and my numbers are up again.  I don't know what this means or what to do...

The doctors just want to keep giving me penicillin but it's not working...

Has anyone else ever had or heard of a situation like this?  
No, I've never heard of a situation like this. Penicillin is the first line of antibiotics to use for syphilis. Are you actually testing positive each time? What type of tests are they using? Are they doing the blood/RPR test?

Did you undergo any symptoms while infected with the baceria?
Avatar n tn
Did you have a lumbar puncture ever over the last 3 years?  If you have asymptomatic neurosyphilis (no obvious symptoms, but abnormal CSF), then the 3 injections of penicillin nor the oral meds regardless of type of antibiotic will not cure the syphilis in the central nervous system.  The type of penicillin given by injection,benzathine penicillin, does not cross the blood brain barrier. Doxycycline does but would not be in a great enough concentration to cure you if you had neurosyphilis.  So if the the syphilis continues to be present in the central nervous sysytem then you will keep getting eventual relapses is my understanding.  Has your doctor mentioned a lumbar puncture?  There is no such thing as syphilis that is not sensitive to penicillin so there must be another reservior.  The only drug resistance that I am aware of is to azithromycin.  Best of luck with your treatment!
Avatar n tn
I have had syphilis 7yrs ago, was treated, retested, its gone, but cant seem to get rid of the spots. They just wont go away. I have became so self consious of them, i can  no longer wear shorts or short sleve blouse.......if i do let the spots exposed, everybody will be like "omg what happen to ur hands?!!" PLZ HELP ME???!!! What can i use to get rid of these dark spots???
Please start a therad dedicated just to your question.