STDs Expert Forum
I dont know if i am paranoid or I have real concerns

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Last month I noticed a pimple like bump where my thigh and pubic hair meats.  I took a shower and it was gone. About two weeks later I noticed a similar bump on the other side somewhat in the same place in which the other one was but on the other side.  This time it went away quickly but i noticed there were circles of dry skin in various part of that side  and the dry flaky skin spread along the side.  I went to planned parenthood to get tested for std's and the doctor or nurse that performed my pap smear looked at the area and said she wasnt sure what it was.  She said it did not look like herpes, and she asked me if i came to get tested and I said yes.  She said she would take my cultures and look at them and she said they were ok.  Yet the irritation in that area did not go away it lessened but did not go away totally until I washed the area with anti-bacterial soap and applied bactracyn ointment.  I am scared because I have never had skin problems in that are before except for a yeast infection about 7 months ago in which I went to see a doctor for.  It cleared up immediately after that, but I am still scared and I can not function for thinking about it.....what should I do?

P.S I have only had two partners and they have only performed oral sex on me one had not done it since about a year ago, the other had done it about 60 days before the first bump showed.
No STD causes the sort of things you describe.  I agree it doesn't sound like herpes, in part because 1) herpes doesn't often occur in that location (usually right on the genitals or anus); 2) recurrent herpes never appears on both sides of the body-- one side only, always within 1-2 inches of the location of a previous outbreak; 3) your sexual history indicates zero to low risk for STD; and 4) other things are very common in the area you describe, like minor bacterial infections (staph, strep, etc).  That it cleared up with antibacterial soap and the antibiotic ointment also suggest a localized baterial infection.

What should you do?  I say forget it and move on.  If you want even more security about herpes, you could have a blood test.  But if positive, it won't explain your symptoms:  it would just mean you have asymptomatic herpes plus some other cause of the sores in the groin.  Herpes simply is not a possible explanation for the symptoms you describe.  Neither is any other STD.

I hope this helps.  Best wishes--  HHH, MD