STDs Community
I really need this answer about Herpies(herpes)???????????

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

Can anyone please tell me if they know this: Can you take Famvir when having an oubreak and if you do will it still clear it up and does it just take longer to clear up? The reason why Iam asking this is because I started takening Famvir 250mg twice aday and its been over a week now and I am getting lesions, I read that you have to take Famvir at the first symptom signs or it wont work properly, is this true? I don't see why they still wont clear them up I can just see it taken a bit longer, I really hope someone can help me with this answer

thanks
Although first outbreaks can be bad and last a long time, I think that if you're still *getting* lesions after a week of treatment, it's probably not herpes. How were you diagnosed?
according to your other post you've had genital herpes for 7 years now?  It appears you started on the famvir suppressively during active symptoms but now have new symptoms that you didn't have before?  Do I have this all right?

I'm right with monkey flower that you need to have additional follow up to see what is all going on.  Definitely having monthly herpes ob's is possible - I get them myself when I"m not on suppressive therapy but having a worsening of symptoms while treating them would be indicative that you have more than just genital herpes going on.  

How were you originally diagnosed as having herpes - lesion culture, blood test and/or visual exam?  

grace

Yes I have had Genital Herpes for almost 7 years now,  before I had a plan I use to go to the clinic and get samples but not alot and not all the time, so basically I just dealed with having an outbreak every month, I would get an outbreak when I had was getting my period and when stressed those are my major trigger points I have found, I was diagnosed with herpes through a Visual exam and a lesion culture( swab test) I was pretty bad with lesions so she got a good sample of it, so she was sure thats what I had and  it came back positive. I have also been tested for other stds through blood and all came back negative, so I know I only have herpes. So I finally got a plan so the doctor prescribed me Famvir 250mg twice a day for suppresion therapy and I think I might of had a lesion when I started takening the pills due to my period comming on and I am afraid that is why I am not healing properly, I read that you have to take Famvir at the first sign of an outbreak, but I didnt, I just took them, so do you think it will still clear them up but will take longer or it wont work for me. I only have one lesion at the moment,  its very mild, so maybe its working.
Sorry I hope you understand this, I find this hard to explain in writing.
thanks
Well if you are still getting new lesions a week into things - a follow up with your doctor after your period is over is never a bad idea.  Just because you know you have genital herpes - doesn't mean that herpes is the only thing you have going on down yonder.  Yeast and bacterial infections are very common in us gals and you won't always have globs of discharge to know that you have one.  hopefully taking famvir suppressively now gets everything down to a dull roar for you but if you are still having symptoms monthly while on suppressive therapy after this current ob clears up - then it's time for a further work up to try and figure out just what all is going on.

If you ever don't have insurance again - switch to acyclovir. You can get it as cheap as 6 weeks worth of suppressive therapy for under $25 even without insurance.  It's much, much cheaper than valtrex and famvir and works the same - you just have to take it more often.

grace

Thank you grace for your advice, But do you think that Famvir will start working for me? and do you think thats true that If you taken Famvir on an outbreak then it wont work properly? Iam scared of that, I really want this to start working for me soon you know:-)
I also read and I really need to know this answer, because its driving me nuts
well its acually about Acyclovir, but I wanted to know if that also goes for valtrax and Famvir, it said that patients had Acyclovir resistant viruses mainly due to years of frequent cycles of infection and re-infection, and I was on nothing for years before I went on this, besides trying samples in the past but that wasnt for long, i am just scared nothing will work for me, I just want Famvir to work thats all.

thanks for listening to me:-)

thanks
Dimplecutie
What do you think Grace about Famvir?

thanks