STDs Expert Forum
IgG vs IgM Question

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

IgG vs IgM Question

Hi doctor. I have a couple additional questions for you if you don't mind.

Do you agree with this statement from another HSV website?

"B lymphocytes are the cells that are responsible for antibody-mediated (this is also called humoral immunity) responses, which is what occurs when exposed to HSV. (If you look up any of the previous terms you can find lots of information about how your immune system works.) These B cells are coated with immunoglobulins and that's what gives them the ability to recognize the protein in HSV and trigger an antibody reaction. There are fives classes of these immunoglobulins or antibodies. Two of them are the IgM and IgG that you mentioned. IgM's are formed during the early phase of exposure as you mentioned. IgG's are the major blood plasma antibodies that are formed in response to a virus or bacteria."

1. Does this mean that recent exposure would definitively show positive for IgM in the first few months, initial outbreak or not, and IgG later?

2. A hypothetical question.  Let's say I contracted HSV2 a month ago.  If I haven't had any sores or anything, but have experienced other symptoms (sore genital region, leg pain, swollen lymph nodes), would a test return positive after experiencing these symptoms, or would it take a more pronounced outbreak?

Thanks for your time.
That is an accurate statement about the nature of IgG and IgM antibody.  Nevertheless, testing for HSV IgM antibody is not useful; IgM antibody often is detectable in recurrent as well as initial herpes.  The truly accurate HSV antibody tests (e.g., HerpeSelect) don't test for IgM, only IgG.  (Corollary:  If someone gets a herpes test that gives an IgM result, it means s/he had an older test that in fact is not reliable in distinguishing HSV-1 from HSV-2 infection.)

Antibody develops even with entirely asymptomatic infections.  The test usually is positive at 1 month, but it can take up to 3 months.

Best wishes--   HHH, MD
Sorry, it's me, Illspirit again, but I'm not at a computer that has my login information so I created this username.

So would you say that with my experienced symptoms, assuming they were due to herpes, if it is herpes it would definitely show up in an IgG test at this point?  Remember, I had a negative IgG last week, which was the 1 1/2 month mark.  I just want to verify whether I should get tested one last time or not. Thanks.
Potsdam/Illspirit: I deleted your new question, which you re-posed here.  As said many times in many threads on this forum, HerpeSelect usually will turn positive within 6 weeks, but sometimes it takes 3 months.  As I said in response to your initial question, your symptoms did not strongly suggest herpes to begin with, so the odds are very great that your 6 week test is valid.  But if you want to raise a 99% probability to 100%, have a 3 month test.

ALL FORUM USERS:  PLEASE NEVER POST NEW QUESTIONS THAT ARE PROPERLY PART OF ANOTHER THREAD; AND DON'T POST TRIVIAL QUESTIONS THAT ARE EASILY ANSWERED BY SEARCHING EARLIER THREADS.  ONLY A LIMITED NUMBER OF NEW THREADS IS PERMITTED DAILY, AND IT IS FRUSTRATING TO SEE NEW POSTS, ESPECIALLY BY PEOPLE WHO HAVE POSTED SEVERAL QUESTIONS ALREADY, WHILE ALSO GETTING MESSAGES FROM PEOPLE WITH IMPORTANT NEW QUESTIONS WHO HAVE TROUBLE GETTING IN.

FROM NOW ON I AM GOING TO BE MUCH MORE AGGRESSIVE IN DELETING INAPPROPRIATE MESSAGES WITHOUT RESPONSE.

HHH, MD
I'm sorry, I didn't think it would make a difference since I posted it as a comment and not a new post.  Thanks for your help.
Sorry, it wasn't you!  Just before I responded to your post, someone else had started a new thread rather than adding to a more appropriate early thread on the same topic.

Apologies.  Everybody note, potsdam wasn't the offender that cause my strongly worded message.

HHH, MD
Sorry, it wasn't you!  Just before I responded to your post, someone else had started a new thread rather than adding to a more appropriate early thread on the same topic.  Of course any appropriate add-on to an earlier thread is always welcome and encouraged.

HHH, MD
No problem.  Glad I wasn't the offender :)
a month after receiving an unprotected blow job from a girl for about 30 seconds, i had a igg and igm herpes 1 and 2  test that came back neg., 2 weeks later i had them done again by the urologist in my group and he said the one that is nonspecific came back positive and showed a very high recent infection and put me on valtrex... even tho i hadnt hadnt had  any symptoms,  5 weeks after this, i see my reg doc for a physical and in those blood tests, he said the igg and igm both came back negative and he believes it was a false positive and that i dont have it,  both docs are in the same medical group and use the same lab and herpes select testing,   he said to come back in a few months to get another one done, but that he says he has seen this before and that i shouldnt worry at all,  are the odds greater that the pos test was false  than that the neg tests were false?

the only "symptoms" ive had are itchy thighs when i sweat, as i work out everyday now,  the reg doc said this was nothing to worry about since there was no redness or irritation and it goes away after a few days of inactivity,, thx for the help...
A related discussion, Negative IGG & IGM Too Early? was started.
A related discussion, IgM vs IgG--time frame and accuracy was started.
A related discussion, I don't know what's happening to me! was started.
A related discussion, IgG & IgM and HSV 1 & 2 was started.