STDs Expert Forum
Inner thigh rash

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Inner thigh rash

Over the past month I have had an itchy rash on both of my upper thighs.  It is mostly in the inner thigh with some itchiness on the outside thighs around to my buttocks. I thought it was folliculitis and just tried to keep it clean. Within the last week or 2 I have also noticed 3 hard bumps in my pubic hair and 2 small bumps and 1 larger bump on my penis. The bumps in my pubic hair and on my penis are at place that itched earlier. I scratched the ones in my pubic hair and they scabbed over.  The closest thing I can describe the bumps on my penis to are mosquito bites or something.  Does this sound like and STD or something else
Welcome to the STD forum.

No STD is a likely cause of this sort of problem.  It sounds most like folliculitis, i.e. superfical infection in hair follicles.  Herpes is always a consideration for red bumps on the penis, but is not a likely explanation of involvement in the pubic hair area and does not cause diffuse, itchy rash of the thighs, buttocks, or anywhere else.  Conceivably more than one thing is going on, but that's unlikely.  Aside from folliculitis, other superficial infections (jock itch, a rash called erythrasma, and others) are possible.

If you want to try self-treatment, buy an over-the-counter cream for jock itch; you can find these products on the same pharmacy shelves with athlete's foot medications.  Also wash with soap and water twice a day and keep the area dry by sprinkling corn starch or talcum powder in your underwear.  If these things don't work after a few days, see a health care provider for proper evaluation.  However, if you are at high risk for herpes or other STDs (e.g. multiple partners, recent new sex partner) you might want to seek professional attention right away, just to be safe.

Good luck--  HHH, MD
Could folliculitis cause itching in areas that do not appear to be infected? Also, could scratching cause the bumps to pop up? The reason I ask is because the bumps reacted similar to a mosquito bite, i.e. became more pronounced after scratching.
"Could folliculitis cause itching in areas that do not appear to be infected?" No, but neither can herpes or any STD.  Any irritated bump becomes "more pronounced after scratching"; that fact give no clue about the cause.

You might also examine the pubic area carefully to make sure you don't have pubic lice (crabs), which could explain such symptoms, including itching in areas that on first glance look normal.  Lice can be hard to see; it's usually easier to find the eggs (nits), which appear as small white things attached to the bases of pubic hairs.
I went and picked up some jock itch powder spray from the drug store.  It definitely relieved most of the itchiness. Is that another sign this is not an STD?
This says nothing about the cause.  The itch is gone because of an anti-itch ingredient.  No such treatment can cure the underlying problem in less than a few days.  The prompt improvement says nothing at all about the cause.  Give it a little time.

It is already 100% certain your symptoms are not due to an STD.  You can't improve on that.
One last thing.  I do have a new partner, but we have not had vaginal sex yet. She did perform oral on me 2-3 times over the course of these symptoms appearing.  Should she be concerned about this?
The usual causes of this sort of thing should pose no problem for your partner.

That will be all for this thread.  Take care.