STDs Community
Irritation in pubic area

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

Irritation in pubic area

I had a new partner recently, and the last couple days I have had some irritation in my pubic hair region, above the penis.  The irritation isn't in a specific spot, it pretty much encompasses my entire pubic hair region, and it feels better and worse from time to time throughout the day.  I trim but I don't shave all the way down, so it can't be razor burn, but that is the closest thing to what it feels like.  It comes and goes, and I wouldnt necessarily call it painful or itchy, but it's bordering on those two things...  It's uncomfortable.  I also noticed 3 VERY tiny bumps in a little cluster,
skin colored, in the pubic hair region about an inch above the shaft.  It's entirely possible they've always been there and I've never noticed and am just being overly cautious.  They are not any more or less painful or itchy than the rest of the region is when it's feeling irritated.  I'm having a difficult time figuring out what this could be.  The small cluster of bumps made me wonder if it could be herpes, but I wouldn't necessarily call them painful and they dont look like blisters.  Could that be HPV?

I told the woman I was with about my irritation downstairs and she said she has never had any problems, although I do know many STDs can easily go undetected, so I'm not putting a lot of faith into that.

I inspected for crabs, not seeing anything, and I assume she would probably know if she had them?

Hopefully this is not an STD and it's just coincidence that it happened a few days after this encounter, but I'm a worry-wart (pun intended)!

Thanks for any help!!!!
the best thing to do is to be seen and get a proper exam done. odds are it's jock itch but certainly have the bumps you didn't notice previously checked out to make sure they aren't warts from a previous encounter.

have you and your new partner had full std testing done?  Nevera bad idea to compare std results to know who was tested for what specifically. Most times when you ask for std testing you only get tested for 2-3 std's. also many people mistakenly think that yearly paps are std testing too and they are not.

grace
I did get tested a few weeks ago, and you are right, they tested for gonorrhea, chlamydia, and HIV, and that's it.  However, from what I understand, a lot of tests for STD's are only done after symptoms occur.  Herpes for example, a blood test can frequently show a false positive, so they only test for that if you are showing symptoms of herpes, and then it is only used as further confirmation.  Is that true?

I am so down to do a full STD test... Honestly, I didn't know that existed.  What does that entail?  And by chance do you know if Planned Parenthood can perform these?  The last time I was there I explained the reason I was there and they did not offer me this option, which, in my opinion, they should have.  Especially after I laid out the reasons I was there.

Also, other than jock itch, do you think the bumps I have sound like anything else?  Could it be herpes?  I'm still gonna go in and see someone, promise, and will update here, but just want some peace of mind, or an expectation of what i am gonna hear when I go into the doctor's office.

Thank you so much for your response  :)
I'd also like to clarify, while my area is irritated, I don't have a visual rash, which leads me to believe it is something other than jock itch.  From what I read, it can be diagnosed visually
no these don't sound like herpes.

some PP offer type specific herpes igg blood test but most don't. You need to ask your local PP specifically as to what they offer.

jock itch usually is just itching without any rash hence why I suggested it.