STDs Community
Irritation of urethra after oral

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

Irritation of urethra after oral

About 3 weeks ago I recived breif unprotected oral from a sex worker followed by protected vaginal sex. About 3 days later I noticed discomfort in my urethra and later an occasional dull ache in my testicles. I have no discharge from my penis. About 10 years ago I had an almost identical situation and the doctor said I had prostititis and placed me on a 30 day course of Levaquin. This helped some and if I had symptoms they we very mild. This time I went to a urologist and my urine culture came back negative. He examined my prostate but did not seem to think I have prostititis. He did however place me on a 30 day course of Levaquin which I am about 1/2 way through. The next thing he wants me to do is to have my urethra scoped to see if he can see any problems. I guess the main question is does this sound like an STI and if so is a urinalysis an adequate test to detect an STI? If it is an STI, will Levaquin cure it?

Thanks much!
A urinalysis might pick up some bacteria or it might not. Doubt a STD but I would wait on the scope. If things get better then no reason to have it done. If things are not better ask for some STD testing 1st.
With no improvement of my symptoms from the advice my urologist gave, 5 days ago I went to a doctor who specializes in STD treatment. He took 3 urethral swabs and so far only has results back for chlamydia and gonorreha which are both negative. At our initial appointment he started me on doxycycline 2 times per day for 2 weeks and same regimine for flagyl. With 5 days of these 2 meds and about 3 weeks of levaquin i don't feel any better. Still discomfort in my urethra with no discharge. I wouldn't call it pain but rather discomfort to maybe mild stinging but discomfort or presure is probably a better way to describe my symptoms. Also ocasional dull ache in my testicles. I was really hoping the these meds would help but nothing yet.

Thoughts???
your initial urine culture prior to your antibiotics would've shown signs of infection so really no reason to have repeated your testing nor is there a reason to think you have a std causing your symptoms.

avoid caffeine, spicy foods and alcohol until symptoms are gone. at this point yeast is a risk from the antibiotics too.  

are you examining your genitals a lot too?

grace
I have not been examining my genitals frequently. I have cut out almost all caffine, drinking water regularly, some alcohol but not much. Will work on the spicey foods part. Only thing that concerns me is the binary symtom pattern. I went from feeling ok to not ajd the only difference was the oral sex 2-3 days prior. Any chnce this is hsv or even strep?

Thanks for your help
Bump
strep would not be transmitted to your penis
many viruses even you can transmit to the urogenital tract. takes time and they go away on their own.

we always recommend protected sexual contact - even though the risk from oral is fairly low, what is "normal" bacteria in the oral area, isn't always so normal in the urogenital tract. so many things can cause symptoms and we don't routinely test for many of them :(  
So what do you think my problem is? My testing is coming back negative, I am on 3 anitbiotics and still have symptoms. I am still waiting on micoplasma and ureaplasma (spelling yikes) results but I suspect they will be negative as well.

Thanks!
My symptoms seem to be most prevelant when i am sitting. My PSA was normal. Is there a chance this is hsv inside my urethra? I have no visible symtoms (symptoms) but i have felt the same for over a month.
no, this isn't herpes going on.

we recommend manual examination of the prostate, not psa levels.
Thanks...you guys are great. I will take everything you have said to heart
I am coming up on 6 months from my first posting here and still have same discomfort in my urethra. If anything, it is slightly worse over the last couple weeks. It is pretty steady all the time. Wouldn't call it pain but rather discomfort or irritation. No worse during urination. Very slight ache in my testicles. Pretty complete history above if you have time to read.

Bump