STDs Community
Is cervicitis an STD?

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

Is cervicitis an STD?

This is a question for Grace (if she is around). Is cervicitis always an STD? I occassionaly have pain during sex and some weird discharge every now and again. I read that this could be cervicitis!?! Do I have an STD? I was with a guy but we got tested together for gonorhea and chlamydia and he and I came back negative.
Thanks!!!
In Grace's current absence.....

Cervicitis is not always a result of an STD.  If you do some reading on line you will find that it can also be caused by the normal bacteria of the vagina.  If there is a PH imbalanace that allows the bad bacteria to overpopulate the vagina, it can cause cervicitis.  Semen can change the PH of the vagina.  
We always have used condoms.....and tested negative for all STDs (except both of us have oral herpes). How do they tell if you have cervicitis? Will a pap smear always show it?
Thanks again!!!
yes, cervicitis is can be diagnosed through a pap test or even just a visual diagnosis during exam is fine.

be seen the next time you have discharge for proper testing of it. it really doesn't sound like you have cervicitis though.

grace
Have an STDs question?
100,000+ doctor answers