STDs Community
Is cervicitis an STD?

Ask questions, get support regarding sexually transmitted diseases (STDs): chlamydia, crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Molluscum Contagiosum, pelvic inflammatory disease, rectal infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, yeast infection. For HPV/genital warts visit HPV Community. For Herpes please visit Herpes Community.

For AIDS/HIV issues, please visit HIV Prevention.

Is cervicitis an STD?

This is a question for Grace (if she is around). Is cervicitis always an STD? I occassionaly have pain during sex and some weird discharge every now and again. I read that this could be cervicitis!?! Do I have an STD? I was with a guy but we got tested together for gonorhea and chlamydia and he and I came back negative.
Thanks!!!
In Grace's current absence.....

Cervicitis is not always a result of an STD.  If you do some reading on line you will find that it can also be caused by the normal bacteria of the vagina.  If there is a PH imbalanace that allows the bad bacteria to overpopulate the vagina, it can cause cervicitis.  Semen can change the PH of the vagina.  
Avatar n tn
We always have used condoms.....and tested negative for all STDs (except both of us have oral herpes). How do they tell if you have cervicitis? Will a pap smear always show it?
Thanks again!!!
yes, cervicitis is can be diagnosed through a pap test or even just a visual diagnosis during exam is fine.

be seen the next time you have discharge for proper testing of it. it really doesn't sound like you have cervicitis though.

grace