STDs Expert Forum
Is it an std?

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Is it an std?

For six months now I've been having an itch in the tip of my penis inside sometimes it's a sharp pain. I had unprotected sex six months ago and a week later it felt like it needed to drip. I went to my doc and got an std test done and he gave me doxy for 7 days. The results came back neg so he gave me something for trich still no change. I went and got a second std test done and it came back neg so I got my prostate checked, it was ok. I then went to the urologist he gave me doxy for a month and no change so he did a cat scane and found nothing. The symptoms are itchy inside the tip it seems to only bother me after sex and last for a few days if I don't ejaculate in that time and will stay that way until I have sex again. Haven't had any discharge or blisters or burning while urination. So what could it be its making me crazy!?!
Welcome to the forum.  Thanks for your question.

You can relax, at least in regard to your concern about an STD.  There are no STDs that could cause this, especially for such a prolonged time, with negative STD tests, without discharge, and without clearing up on the intensive antibiotic therapy you have had.  This situation is most suspicious of genitally focused anxiety -- i.e. emotional factors magnifying trivial or entirely normal body sensations.  Prostatitis or something related to it also might be possible -- but I'm sure your urologist has considered this possibility; indeed, that probably is why s/he prescribed several weeks treatment with doxycycline

in any case, I am confident you have no STD, and nothing else likely to ever harm you or a sex partner.  If your symptoms continue, you should continue to follow up with your urologist for further evaluation. But I'm convinced nothing important will be found to be wrong. It's possible you may need to just live with these symptoms.  Once you come to understand and believe that you have nothing serious, the symptoms likely will fade away.

I hope these comments are helpful to you.  Best wishes--

HHH, MD
So what do you think is causing the symptoms? It is more severe after sex and gets worse with the more sex I have. It gets so bad it wakes me at night and during the day it feels like there is something inside the tip. My urologist said the next step is for him to look inside but I don't have ins. Do you think I should spend to money for that
I didn't realize the pain is that severe.  Is it there all the time, or only on and off?  If it is periodic, how often?  Every day or two?  Weekly?  Every few months?

Assuming it's more or less all the time, then for sure no STD is responsible.  If it's every few weeks or less often than that, it would be reasonable for you to be checked for herpes.  No other STD is a likely cause.

My inclination is that you should follow the urologist's advice and have the urethroscopy procedure.  Alternatively, you could consider seeing a different urologist for a second opinion, then go ahead with the procedure is that doctor agrees it's the best approach.
Well if I don't ejaculate it doesn't seem to bother me, maybe a slight itch in the morning but if I masterbate or have sex it starts feeling like something is inside and becomes more itchy and if I continue to have sex day to day it starts to become a sharp pain every now and then but will feel better if I stop for a few days. It never hurts while urinating but it seems to affect the pressure of my urine. And I haven't had any blisters at all. I contacted the girl and she got tested and was neg "so she said". My girlfriend now has had no symptoms and we've been active for three months. You really think it could be herpes?
I never thought herpes was likely -- only a remote possibility.  With this additional information, it's not even that.

So it is clear your symptoms are not due to any STD.  Follow your urologist's advice about further evaluation, but there is no need for additional STD testing or treatment.  And because this forum deals only with STDs, that will end this thread.  I won't have any further advice.